More vehicle woes. <sigh>

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dave Ramsey is a brilliant financial guy with wildspeculations and expectations of money markets. He has good advice if you fall into a category where the financial advice fits.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you are having a great trip, and enjoying some time off.

I buy new cars, so I support your direction, timing is everything though, I would wait until things settle down. There is a lot of inventory that will hit the market when this settles down, pricing will be better, and brand support of low interest or no interest financing will be abundant(IMO).

Beyond that you might sniff around and see if you know anyone that is getting close to the end of their lease on a similar vehicle. Those '18 models likely a very low residual value on them, you could buy out someone's lease with a little kicker for them, and still come out ahead. I know of 2 examples of people that the current value of the car is much higher than the residual. Neither one of them is inclined to mess with it and will like just hand them back to the dealer.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our family drive on all our vacations if at all possible. We drive to OK once or twice per year and to Montana once a year. All for vacations. We also do other smaller/shorter vacations, all while road tripping. it has alway been me, wife son and a dog on these trips. For our family we have almost as much fun on the drive as we do on vacations. Part of this is because in 2015 i bought a new 2015 Ram Megacab 2500 Laramie. Its a fantastic road trip vehicle. We drive on vacations because the hastle, costs and PITA to fly it just not worth it. THEN, once you get to your vacatoin destination you have to spend a ton of money on a rental SUV for a week or two and that ends up costing another $1500-$2000. I always make sure my truck is PM serviced before each trip and have all our proper safety road trip gear and have no other worries. Pack up and head out. Nothing better than spending hard earned money for a great vacation, having a great time with family and having no worries about a vehicle breakdown.

My wife is currently driving her 2012 Ford Explore with 135K miles on it. It is running great but I'm not sure i trust it driving it to OK in the heat of summer at the end of August when we finally more to OK. It really would be a huge PITA if it had a major breakdown in the middle of our trip. We will be getting her a Ford Expedition, however, new are $80K. That is not something we what to spend on a nice SUV for her. She is perfectly content on spending $55K-$60K on a one or two year old Expedition with 20-40K miles on it. We are looking on Autotrader and on Enterprise Car Sales websites and you can find some nice average mile SUVS that are really nice for a lot cheaper than new.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the best advice I was given years ago,
When you buy a used vehicle 70% of the time you are buying someone elses problems.

Its all about personal choice. Now if Toyota would stop messing around and release the specs on the 2022 Tundra I can finally move forward LOL..

murphranch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What scares me about buying a used vehicle is that its previous owner possibly was some Jackwagon that was extremely hard on vehicles just like me. Every time I’ve traded or sold a truck I honestly feel sorry for the buyer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of the best advice I was given years ago,
When you buy a used vehicle 70% of the time you are buying someone elses problems.

Its all about personal choice. Now if Toyota would stop messing around and release the specs on the 2022 Tundra I can finally move forward LOL..
If the dummy's would build a 3/4 ton, they would probably lead the market.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the dummy's would build a 3/4 ton, they would probably lead the market.
I’ve spent literal hours figuring out what I’d tell a Toyota R&D exec if I ever somehow ran into one. A SRW 1 ton and a 1 1/2 ton, also optioned with SRW with a setup similar to Buckstops conversions for 4500 & 5500 trucks, with a a 10 speed and 4.30 gearing with manual locking diffs, engine brake, and two engine options - gas and diesel, both inline 6s and make the gas a turbo as well. Onboard factory air with rear bags and enough cfm to run air tools off of the extra hookup. Factory available engine driven hydraulic utility flat bed with dump and bale arm options. And the list goes on.
I plan on eventually breaking down and learning how to build my own version of this on an 04-09 Ford 5500 chassis with a 12 valve dropped in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom