Mossberg Maverick 88

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I decided I need one of these, just something to load up for sentry duty, so I ended up with the Security Model. 20” barrel, 7+1 capacity. They have one with an 18.5” barrel that holds 5+1 too if that’s your preference. Me, I liked the 20” and 7+1 so that’s what I got. The Maverick 88 is basically the budget line of the Mossberg 500. A couple of differences are the location and type of safety, it is not tapped for optics, the receiver is alloy, and you can’t put a magazine extension on them due to the design of the mag tube and screw off cap. But it will take almost everything else as replacement parts from the 500, including barrels. Oh, it doesn’t have sling swivels so that might be a thing to some.

Back to the safety; it is a cross bolt safety like on an 870 rather than the top mounted one like a Mossberg 500 has. It’s just less expensive and easier, so that’s the route that the Maverick line sports. It’s not a big deal to me, although I prefer the top mounted safety to a cross bolt, for the price and intended purpose of the gun, it is fine.

Some good things it does have despite its low price are dual extractors and dual action bars. The action is not silky smooth, the trigger is a little rough, and the bluing seems to be very thin. But it will smooth out with time and use, so I’ll rack the crap out if it, shoot it, clean it, and repeat. Went to the range with Surjimmy yesterday and we ran some through, it worked just fine, and it is now sitting in a secure, easily accessible place serving it’s intended purpose. It’s loaded up with Remington Low Recoil 00 buck. 7+1 rounds of that should take care of about anything I need it to. Might get an adapter and try some of those little Aquila mini shells maybe...but for duty, what’s in her now will be the call. I know it will do what I want it to do.

For my purposes, it will fit the bill. And you can buy these NIB for less than $200 all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good choice. You are correct about the bluing. It is very thing. Even in the safe with a Golden rod it started turning orange. Keep it coated with your favorite clp or whatever.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good choice. You are correct about the bluing. It is very thing. Even in the safe with a Golden rod it started turning orange. Keep it coated with your favorite clp or whatever.

If it starts rusting that easily, it could turn out to be the perfect shotgun to practice camo patterns on...rattle can camo patterns. Shake, shake, shake: spray the barrel with BBQ Black. Shake, shake, shake: now a pass with OD Green. Shake, shake, shake: hit it a few times with Flat Dark Earth. Done!

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I decided I need one of these, just something to load up for sentry duty, so I ended up with the Security Model. 20” barrel, 7+1 capacity. They have one with an 18.5” barrel that holds 5+1 too if that’s your preference. Me, I liked the 20” and 7+1 so that’s what I got. The Maverick 88 is basically the budget line of the Mossberg 500. A couple of differences are the location and type of safety, it is not tapped for optics, the receiver is alloy, and you can’t put a magazine extension on them due to the design of the mag tube and screw off cap. But it will take almost everything else as replacement parts from the 500, including barrels. Oh, it doesn’t have sling swivels so that might be a thing to some.

Back to the safety; it is a cross bolt safety like on an 870 rather than the top mounted one like a Mossberg 500 has. It’s just less expensive and easier, so that’s the route that the Maverick line sports. It’s not a big deal to me, although I prefer the top mounted safety to a cross bolt, for the price and intended purpose of the gun, it is fine.

Some good things it does have despite its low price are dual extractors and dual action bars. The action is not silky smooth, the trigger is a little rough, and the bluing seems to be very thin. But it will smooth out with time and use, so I’ll rack the crap out if it, shoot it, clean it, and repeat. Went to the range with Surjimmy yesterday and we ran some through, it worked just fine, and it is now sitting in a secure, easily accessible place serving it’s intended purpose. It’s loaded up with Remington Low Recoil 00 buck. 7+1 rounds of that should take care of about anything I need it to. Might get an adapter and try some of those little Aquila mini shells maybe...but for duty, what’s in her now will be the call. I know it will do what I want it to do.

For my purposes, it will fit the bill. And you can buy these NIB for less than $200 all over the place.

I actually have the Mossberg 500 Persuader 20" version. For me it was not only the safety location but the fact that I could swap out the plastic for wood. The design on the Maverick fore end is fully molded and can't be changed out. That said, I love the design and capacity

MavMatt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have about 5 shotguns already but find myself wanting one of these, partly because I own a Ford Maverick (I know stupid reason) and was wondering if they are any good or not being the "cheap" line. Being my main duck gun is a 870 the same style will be good for me. I think you guys convinced me into getting one.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MacFromOK, don't tell him that. The OLD FOOL still thinks he's a 20 year old Force Recon Marine, and can do it all. I for one ain't helping Mom any more changing his nasty ass diapers. I was surprised, I didn't think I would like the 88 but it ran just fine and kept a tight pattern. It makes a good home defense shotgun. This was suppose to be for Mary (Yea Right), I told him to blow that smoke up someone ele's butt. If it was for Mary, it should have been a 20ga not a 12. Hell he should have gotten a 20ga even if it was for him(20yr Old FR Marine). He's not chasing bad guys, and a 20ga will do all you need it to for Home Defense.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MacFromOK, don't tell him that. The OLD FOOL still thinks he's a 20 year old Force Recon Marine, and can do it all.
Hehe, yeah... but still... I think of Joel every time I see this. :drunk2:

Attachments

• gun-beware-of-old-man.jpg
    gun-beware-of-old-man.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 362

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it starts rusting that easily, it could turn out to be the perfect shotgun to practice camo patterns on...rattle can camo patterns. Shake, shake, shake: spray the barrel with BBQ Black. Shake, shake, shake: now a pass with OD Green. Shake, shake, shake: hit it a few times with Flat Dark Earth. Done!

Yep. More than a few of those all camod up at the EZ Pawn here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom