Moving away from the .44 mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have researched them quite a bit and the Clark kit is more of a work it until you find the happy . The 460 Rowlands kit you get is pretty much good to go , just a drop in set up and it' is MIO .
I got rid of it about a year ago, sold it to a buddy. He knew all
Have researched them quite a bit and the Clark kit is more of a work it until you find the happy . The 460 Rowlands kit you get is pretty much good to go , just a drop in set up and it' is MIO .
I had a hard time time with it, had so much pressure it smashed the primers completely flat. That was with Underwood ammo. I sold everything to a buddy and he said he would try it. I just thought it was beating my gun up to bad.

mmerrill

It makes sense if you don't think about it.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been carrying the Ruger Super Redhawk in 7.5" barrel for several years in bear country with a chest rig and a speed loader on the rig. That thing is so heavy I'm looking at a 10mm semi auto to wear on the hip with some heavy for caliber solids for penetration.
Decided on the S&W Series 2 as I'm a fan of the 1911 and they have the same grip angle as well as competing with one in .40 in USPSA matches for around 5 years. Very familiar with the platform and controls, so that's the direction I'm going unless someone has a recommendation other than a glock they are happy with. Own one glock won at a DU banquet. Never own another.
RIA also has a hi cap (17 rounds I think) 10mm double stack 1911. It looked good and shot good but it doesn't particularly like flat nose bullets.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could have the barrel cut to 4" and the grip frame rounded and that would make a really handy bear or anything gun. I had my blue Redhawk fixed up that way and it's really nice. They are heavy but I just prefer a big revolver. I
I've researched this option with a couple of Smith's.
Both said the barrel would have to be removed and they couldn't guarantee that the threads of SS against SS wouldn't gall getting it apart which would make the pistol into a paper weight. Ruger offers a 4.5" or 5", (can't remember which) would have made the pistol somewhat lighter and better carried on the hip vs a chest rig but I'm not willing to take that risk.
If in griz country, I'll probably still carry the .44, but in black bear country, the 10mm will work.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the downside of losing capacity, but potentially a touch easier to shoot well (completely subjective)...have you looked into 10mm 1911s, or even the SIG P220s?

Not that the M&P is trash (I carry an M&P40 every day), but I know that other pistols naturally shoot easier for most people.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got this because my 629 Classic got a little heavy on the hip when hiking the mountains.

18C0F586-7153-4610-A875-683E999C85B6.jpeg

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've researched this option with a couple of Smith's.
Both said the barrel would have to be removed and they couldn't guarantee that the threads of SS against SS wouldn't gall getting it apart which would make the pistol into a paper weight. Ruger offers a 4.5" or 5", (can't remember which) would have made the pistol somewhat lighter and better carried on the hip vs a chest rig but I'm not willing to take that risk.
If in griz country, I'll probably still carry the .44, but in black bear country, the 10mm will work.
I had Jack Huntington out of Nevada do the work on mine, he's one of the best on Ruger's in the country. He worked mine over way before there was ever a factory Redhawk with a barrel shorter than 5.5 inches. I don't remember him saying anything about taking the barrel out but he may have. I had him do an action job and had Bowen front and rear sights put on it. The Front sight is what they call a DX front sight that is removable so that different heights can be put in. Redhawks are built like a tank and handle loads that would tear a S&W up pretty quickly, I've had several over the years but just never liked the long barrel ones, the short 4" barrel makes them a totally different gun I think.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had Jack Huntington out of Nevada do the work on mine, he's one of the best on Ruger's in the country. He worked mine over way before there was ever a factory Redhawk with a barrel shorter than 5.5 inches. I don't remember him saying anything about taking the barrel out but he may have. I had him do an action job and had Bowen front and rear sights put on it. The Front sight is what they call a DX front sight that is removable so that different heights can be put in. Redhawks are built like a tank and handle loads that would tear a S&W up pretty quickly, I've had several over the years but just never liked the long barrel ones, the short 4" barrel makes them a totally different gun I think.
Thanks for the intel. I may look him up and see what his opinion is.
I agree, the Ruger will shoot fire breathing loads that will destroy a Smith & Wesson. Nothing better than a huge fireball out of the barrel at low light. Kept increasing the powder load with H-110 in mine until it started showing signs of overpressure on the primers. Can't remember the velocity as it's been a couple of years since running it across the chronograph. I do remember the Ruger semiauto velocities though using the same ammo. 1900 fps.
Haven't ran the Marlin Lever Gun across it yet but bet it's a tad faster with the locked breach.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I would go to a standard frame Redhawk with 5-1/2" barrel. That should shave some weight and you are already familiar with the platform. Probably have some speed loaders for it too.

I had one I really liked and wish I had never sold it.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
S&W model 69, L frame 44 magnum, 5 shot cylinder, 4" bbl.

Looks like current production is only the 2.75" though.

Model 69 | Smith & Wesson
That'd be a good choice, but from the link, I gather that the 4" is available.

Dennis, you might also consider the model 610. If we get together, I'll let you shoot mine. I've had it for about three years and I love mine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom