Cotton wood Trees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Elms are really bad if they’re next to your house (over time they’ll defeat both your sewer pipes and foundation), and they’re really hard to pull if they’re more than a few hours old. When I was a kid we had one that got started in the flower bed outside my bedroom window; it was no bigger around than a quarter of an inch, but we couldn’t pull that sucker out with a tractor. My dad and I stripped all the branches and bark off of it more than once, and I think he even got mad a cut it off at ground level once, but it was still there when my folks sold the place.

I swear we heard yelling in Chinese when we tried to pull that son of a gun. Those suckers send down deep roots.
Fortunately for us, all our elm trees died with some sort of blight a few years ago but one and it's really sick looking.
Worthless for firewood with very low BTU's, pops like crazy and is the only wood that turned the 5" I beam on my splitter into a horseshoe. Crazy grain that tears and doesn't split. I don't split elm anymore. It all goes to the burn pile.

Latest posts

Top Bottom