My First Coyote Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austin.brown

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
For Christmas this year I saved all the cash I recieved and pruchased a FoxPro SpitFire. This morning I got to take it out and put it to use. A lady that I work with has some family land that i got permission to hunt on. Her husband took me and we walked all over the place and I was afriad that he had run every yote off the place.

We walked back to the truck and I put on all my camo and grabbed my call, which is great by the way. I borrowed a food high tripod from a buddy and it worked really well on the FoxPro. I headed back out and sit down close to some cedar trees and put my call about 25 yards away. I hit the jackrabbit distress call a few times and sit there for 10-15 min. I did not see anything so I decided to move, well a coyote had came up behind me. I sit back down and tried to get a couple of shots off at him, but I was to excited and pulled the shots.

I moved about 150 yards on down the pasture and sit in the shade of a big tree. I had placed the call a little ways away again. I did not think I would see any yotes after shooting at the one, and I had seen some crows so I decied to see if I would get a few of them to come around. I hit the Crow Fight call and I had 12 of them flying around looking for the commotion. I was not paying attention and I looked back at the pond I was set up on and a lil dog was about 120 yards away lookin around. Well I sent 55 grains of hornady's best his way and it was lights out for him. I saw another take off through the woods that I could not get a shot at. By this time I was pumped up and forgot to keep looking for more dogs until one ran by about 50 yards away. I put one into his gut, I know a bad shot, and he went down the hill biting at his flank. I never found him but I could sure smell him.

This was my first time to use the call, my first kill on the rifle, and my first time to choose and set up my own stand, so over all it was a great day.

I tried to post a pic but we will see if it works.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, you had a heck of a first day! The foxpro is an awesome call. I'm gonna have to get one. I bought western rivers several years ago, and have never called in any animals. Used it today on a set, with crows flying over, and not one of them turned to come back with an owl/crow fight going on. It just sounds fake.
The foxpro sounds natural.

austin.brown

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
my rifle is a Weather Vanguard Varming Special .223 sub-MOA heavy barrell. thing weight about 10 lbs but I have put five shots at 100 yards and covered them with a quarter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom