My new toy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogOnTheGround

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like it! If it was a pristine 1903 before they did that I can see where somepeople might get their panties in a wad, but if they made something better out of a worn out or abused gun then who cares.

OKMike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know the condition before sporterizing, I personally would not cut up a nice collectible, but I have no qualms about doing mods on this gun. The barrel has allready been chopped, reciever drilled for Lyman peep sight, so it's fair game. I personally think it is a nice example of the art of gunsmithing. I should take some better quality pics as the blueing and overall workmanship on this gun far exceeds most factory bolt guns. I may put a forward mounted scope on it later, but for now I just plan on putting a 3 point sling on it and trying to wear the barrel out.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As the proud owner of a sporterized 03A3, I have to say welcome to the club.

I would not sporterize a collectible rifle myself but I have no problem shooting one that has already been sporterized. I have even rebuilt several that have been Bubba sporterized into fine shooting rifles. Mine has a lined barrel so I assume the barrel was worn out before the work was done.

I know some here will flame me for it, but my next project is a N4MK1 I have that has been Bubba sporterized. The fore stock and hand guard had already been cut down and some action work done before I got it. It has become my favorite rifle so I am going to give it a new sporter stock. I have just not decided between a composite and a nice wood.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys have to realize that back in the 50s and 60s sporterizing 03s was the thing to do and it's likely that this one didn't happen yesterday.

There were tons of them that this happened to and you could buy Fajen stocks for next to nothing via mail order and every gunsmith on every corner was making it happen.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
*sigh* I guess. But maybe he turned a $50 gun into a $200 gun?

I just don't understand why everyone does this:

[Broken External Image]

when they see a sporterized milsurp.

ai157.photobucket.com_albums_t52_m5stingray18_Guns_Mauser_7mm_08_IMG_3083_Small.jpg

Oh the noes! A sporterized Mauser! Oh the Huge Manitees! GAAAAAAAHHHHH!

It's because the high horse is OSA's mascot.

amickeymalta.files.wordpress.com_2010_04_high_horse.jpg

I should have kept that rifle. What a beautiful gun.

And it is funny because I've seen Andre's new sporterized mil-surp. It looks like crap. :P

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
You guys have to realize that back in the 50s and 60s sporterizing 03s was the thing to do and it's likely that this one didn't happen yesterday.

There were tons of them that this happened to and you could buy Fajen stocks for next to nothing via mail order and every gunsmith on every corner was making it happen.

Exactly my point. It really was like my Mosin example, '03s were plentiful back then, and people probably had no clue that even normal '03s would be worth anything ever, since they were a dime a dozen then.

Besides, it comes down to this: it's his rifle, not mine, and he can do whatever he dang well pleases with it. I may not like it, but it isn't mine to choose.

Latest posts

Top Bottom