My Son is now a Navy Man

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My congrats to you for supporting him, and I guarantee you he's better off going in at 20 than he would be at 17 or 18. Even though it's only a few years, there's a crapload more maturity in the "old farts" that go in vs the guys right out of HS.

Couple boot camp characters we had, I won't forget anyway.

One guy in my division was 36, a real super nice guy too. It was pretty funny(not haha per se) though, his actual dream in life was to become a monk, and he was going to be a missile tech. The guy had a math degree too IIRC.

The other dude was a Cuban that swam most of the distance. At first we didn't really believe it entirely, but by the end, we definitely believed anything the dude said. He lipped a few times, and the RDC(Recruit Division Commander-Navy version of Drill Sergeant) would start beating him down, push-ups mainly, and they'd give up before he did. When we went in for the tear gas, I was a few rows behind him. His row stepped up, pulled off their masks, and he just sat there inhaling the stuff, no runny nose or teary eyes. So of course they lit off a few more pellets, to no avail, and we got it about 10x worse because of him.

What's your son going to be, rate wise? I wish him the best of luck, and I'd even tell him to sub-vol(hehehe).

ETA: make sure and write him, even though it's only 2 months, the letters are really what helps the time fly by faster!

Rhino55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent 23 years in the Navy and retired as a Chief. I wouldn't have traded for any thing in the world. Between the Navy and my wife I won't be where I'm at today.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Everywhere you go, more freaking squids.
Congrats on you son going in to the Navy, Don't sweat him making it through boot camp, the only easier boot camp is the Chair Force, Heck I think Thunderbird is probably tougher.
Isn't the only Navy boot camp at Great Lakes now?
Good grief what a lousy time of year to go up there.
I took extreme measures to avoid ET "A" school in Great Mistakes Volunteerd for sub duty and took my "A" school in Pensacloa. It was worth it.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats on you son going in to the Navy, Don't sweat him making it through boot camp, the only easier boot camp is the Chair Force, Heck I think Thunderbird is probably tougher.
Isn't the only Navy boot camp at Great Lakes now?
Good grief what a lousy time of year to go up there.
I took extreme measures to avoid ET "A" school in Great Mistakes Volunteerd for sub duty and took my "A" school in Pensacloa. It was worth it.

Yeah but would you rather be surrounded by chairviators Larry?

I agree, I was not in any sort of shape and they got me there, and I came out fine. My first experience with what I'd call a great Chief too, AOC(SW/AW) Alexander, ran with me almost the whole time I was in since I sucked at running, and ran with me when I passed the 3rd PT test(pass required to graduate boot camp). Sometimes I wish he were around to run with me some more, as he was a good motivator without jumping down your throat, and I still can't run since I got out of practice.

Yup Larry, only at GL now, as well as the majority of non-nuke schools. Airdale schools are in FL I think, but long gone are the days of getting out of boot camp and heading to the beach, just stories from old goats now.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Ya know I think we got just about every flavor of Squid here, Bubble heads, Targets, P:censored: checkers, Airedales, Deck Apes, and Bees. We are taking over the world:w000t:

Great Mistakes during the winter, Ahh, the memories. :D Navy Boot is easy, it is more class room than anything. Well except for all the shoveling of snow during the winter months.

Latest posts

Top Bottom