National Anthem Is Coming Back

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you lived near Lawton, you'd hear it every morning, 6am on the three big radio stations in town, shortly followed by the pledge on two of them. I've been pushing for 'Oklahoma' to play at 5p every afternoon like KOMA used to (might still?) do, but can't get the boss to go for it.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Outstanding! :clap3:

I can remember as a young man, when the local TV stations went off at night (yes kiddos, they didn't used to stay on all night showing infomercials) usually around 1am or so, they would play the anthem, show that commercial about the indian shedding a tear over littering and play Louie Armstrong's What a Wonderful World.

:soldiers:

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Outstanding! :clap3:

I can remember as a young man, when the local TV stations went off at night (yes kiddos, they didn't used to stay on all night showing infomercials) usually around 1am or so, they would play the anthem, show that commercial about the indian shedding a tear over littering and play Louie Armstrong's What a Wonderful World.

:soldiers:

The actor in those commercials was Iron Eyes Cody, but he was not a native american, he was an Italian-American born actor, birth named Espera Oscar de Corti

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wasn't he from Oklahoma?
Iron Eyes Cody (born Espera Oscar de Corti, April 3, 1904 – January 4, 1999) was an Italian-American actor. He portrayed Native Americans in Hollywood films,[2] famously as Chief Iron Eyes in Bob Hope's The Paleface (1948). He also played a Native American shedding a tear about litter in one of the country's most well-known television public service announcements, "Keep America Beautiful".[3] Living in Hollywood, he began to insist, even in his private life, that he was Native American, over time claiming membership in several different tribes. In 1996, Cody's half-sister said that he was of Italian ancestry, but he denied it.[3][4] After his death, it was revealed that he was of Sicilian parentage, and not Native American at all.[3][4][2]

Iron Eyes Cody

Cody (left), Glendale, California
at Charles Wakefield Cadman's funeral, 1947
Born
Espera Oscar de Corti

April 3, 1904
Kaplan, Louisiana, United States
Died January 4, 1999 (aged 94)
Los Angeles, California, United States
Resting place Hollywood Forever Cemetery
Other names The Crying Indian
Years active 1927–1987