Neck Shots on Deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, I must post Roos7a's favorite picture.

www.nyantler_outdoors.com_images_deer_anatomy.jpg

You mean there is no "void" between the lungs and spine!!!
Lol

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
none. Also not mentioed here is the shockwave thats created when the bullet passes just above or below the spine will sever the soft tissue in the spinal cord.
Thanks CHenry. Once again I have yet to loose a deer shot in the neck and to all you that's fixen to jump my a$$, no I haven't missed either. Oh and the picture of the deer with his jaw missing! If that was a neck shot then the guy would have missed his lungs also. Get real guys. Personally I think the white throat patch is a really good target when the deer is facing you. If you can't hit a 6 inch target at a 100 yards then maybe you should get a good gun. OK..go ahead and let me have it. But before you do I would ask that you ask DennisHoddy about my wall of racks that I've been collecting for nearly 40 years. And yes, a lot of them were shot in the neck and no they didn't run off after two shots to the neck.

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks CHenry. Once again I have yet to loose a deer shot in the neck and to all you that's fixen to jump my a$$, no I haven't missed either. Oh and the picture of the deer with his jaw missing! If that was a neck shot then the guy would have missed his lungs also. Get real guys. Personally I think the white throat patch is a really good target when the deer is facing you. If you can't hit a 6 inch target at a 100 yards then maybe you should get a good gun. OK..go ahead and let me have it. But before you do I would ask that you ask DennisHoddy about my wall of racks that I've been collecting for nearly 40 years. And yes, a lot of them were shot in the neck and no they didn't run off after two shots to the neck.

Make more sense to me to brush up on rifle proficiency and marksmanship, but to each their own. I've never had problem with neck shots, even all the way out to 300. If you can't shoot with iron sights you have no business attempting to shoot with a scoped rifle.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make more sense to me to brush up on rifle proficiency and marksmanship, but to each their own. I've never had problem with neck shots, even all the way out to 300. If you can't shoot with iron sights you have no business attempting to shoot with a scoped rifle.

I wouldn't trust myself that far on 2" target with any of my rifles, especially cold bore.
I like neck shot on close range - no tracking, no chance of shock damage to loin.
Here is mine neck shot: http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?130782-A-max-vs-SST

P.S. Iron sights is a totally different set of skills IMHO, no reason to knock on glass guys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom