Neck Shots on Deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust myself that far on 2" target with any of my rifles, especially cold bore.
I like neck shot on close range - no tracking, no chance of shock damage to loin.
Here is mine neck shot: http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?130782-A-max-vs-SST

P.S. Iron sights is a totally different set of skills IMHO, no reason to knock on glass guys.

How is it a different set of skills when it's pretty much the fundamentals? Most shooters think upgrading glass will fix proficiency, improve group when it does nothing at all.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is it a different set of skills when it's pretty much the fundamentals? Most shooters think upgrading glass will fix proficiency, improve group when it does nothing at all.

The trigger control is the same - target perception, eye focus, wield - all different. True, it is a lot easier to go from irons to glass, not the other way around; but you can't shoot what you can't see - say a prairie dog at 400 yards.
P.S. I shoot both competitively monthly.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
jwe so what your saying you can kill a deer everytime at 200yrds standing in bluestem grass in low light with open sights,if you can my hat off to you that would be some awesome shooting

JWE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
jwe so what your saying you can kill a deer everytime at 200yrds standing in bluestem grass in low light with open sights,if you can my hat off to you that would be some awesome shooting
Why you making assumptions? Only makes an ass out of u and me

Am I supposed to be impressed? If we want to start spouting off resumes...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im assuming your shooting at least the same or heavier bullets than I am and obviously at slower speeds
Heavier bullets at slower speeds decelerate slower in liquid (animals are made mostly of liquid). The slower deceleration makes for more penetration so an exit wound would be expected.
Fast bullets, especially lighter ones decelerate real fast when they hit liquids.

I've been busy, but we need to discuss this.
Your statement is a basic definition of kenetic energy, that has no application as far as terminal ballistics relating to bullets and their performance on game/humans or what ever.

Bullets are constructed by the manufacturer for different applications. Fragile for varmints, medium construction for deer sized game, and heavier construction for elk, and other large animals, and finally solids for dangerous game in Africa.

I've shot deer with .45 ACP, .44Mag, 230/240 grain HP, in pistol rounds,
.55 grain bullets in .223, and 22-250, at 3100-3575- fps, Deer and Elk with 165 grain 30-06 at 2800 fps, deer with 150 grain .300 Savage, and the count goes on.
I have had only one round not do a complete pass through. It was the 230 Grain .45ACP that hit the leg bone on the opposite side. It actuall exited the chest cavity, but lodged against the leg bone on the opposite side.

I have recovered some 250 grain Muzzleloader Barnes rounds in the opposite side.

Discuss.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The trigger control is the same - target perception, eye focus, wield - all different. True, it is a lot easier to go from irons to glass, not the other way around; but you can't shoot what you can't see - say a prairie dog at 400 yards.

What a dumb statement.

The last time I was at Camp Perry for the national championships, they were shooting 6" groups at 1000 yards with open sights.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What a dumb statement.

The last time I was at Camp Perry for the national championships, they were shooting 6" groups at 1000 yards with open sights.

I didn't say sights somehow affect accuracy; surely they can shoot 6 inch group on a 6 foot target, that doesn't mean they can engage a 6" target @ 1000 yards: you simply can't see it at that distance without magnification: magnification has it's pros and cons just like everything else.

Just because you don't like me - it doesn't mean you have to reply to my post by calling my dumb first. I though I was on your ignore list! Liar!!! :)

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My take on the whole issue is to let each shot determine the shot placement. I shot a 15 point buck last year at 287 yards that was quartering away from me. Shot him in the right rib cage and it exited out his left shoulder. Deer only ran about 20 yards. Also the area I hunt has some open spaces but it also has some thickets that I can't even crawl through. In 2010 I had a buck that was about 5 steps from entering one of these thickets. He was only 100 yards when I shot him about 6 inches in front of the shoulders. I sure didn't have to crawl into the thicket to look for blood. As far as the bullet passing through the animal, for years I shot a 120 gr. spitzer in my 7 mag. Never had a pass through except in the neck. I finally started shooting the 140 grain game king and every shot would pass through the shoulders.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going to have to pretty much disagree with everyone on here. Neck shots are just as risky as lung shots, neither are 100%. If you want that deer dead in his tracks, there is only one way to accomplish this. Texas Heart Shot. Why shoot a passthrough shot that only has a chance of hitting a vital organ? Shoot that sucker right up the butthole! Then you can take out lungs, heart and every organ in one shot. Get him with his head down, and it will travel right up the neck and out his head. Taking that shot is a combination of lung shot, neck shot, and head shot, all in one. And if done correctly, you gut him in the process. Man, ya'll have a lot to learn.... ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom