Need AR help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot my AR for the first time today and had a ball. I wear progressive bifocals and have no problem with handguns. I usually shoot handguns at about 15 yards and can tilt my head slightly and find the sweet spot and shoot pretty well. The AR however is a different animal, anything over 25 yards gives me problems. My eyes are not what they used to be, I am seriously considering some type of optics for the AR.

1. What suggestions to you have for a quality sight that doesn't cost more than the AR? The AR is a Colt 6920 and will mainly be a range gun, no competition, no abuse. Maybe a little small game?

2. I am not going to hang everything on the gun but I would like a vertical front grip. I am thinking about the two piece Troy rail that simply replaces the stock grip. And a Troy vertical front grip. Suggestions/Comments?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot my AR for the first time today and had a ball. I wear progressive bifocals and have no problem with handguns. I usually shoot handguns at about 15 yards and can tilt my head slightly and find the sweet spot and shoot pretty well. The AR however is a different animal, anything over 25 yards gives me problems. My eyes are not what they used to be, I am seriously considering some type of optics for the AR.

1. What suggestions to you have for a quality sight that doesn't cost more than the AR? The AR is a Colt 6920 and will mainly be a range gun, no competition, no abuse. Maybe a little small game?

2. I am not going to hang everything on the gun but I would like a vertical front grip. I am thinking about the two piece Troy rail that simply replaces the stock grip. And a Troy vertical front grip. Suggestions/Comments?

Are you looking for a Red-Dot style, a holographic sight, or etched glass?

You want magnification (even a little)?

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you looking for a Red-Dot style, a holographic sight, or etched glass?

You want magnification (even a little)?

That's just it, I'm not sure. I thought I would be fine with iron sights until I went shooting today. I just need something for my tired eyes. In hindsight though, it was cloudy today, I might do better on a sunny day. Just looking at options before putting down the cash.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's just it, I'm not sure. I thought I would be fine with iron sights until I went shooting today. I just need something for my tired eyes. In hindsight though, it was cloudy today, I might do better on a sunny day. Just looking at options before putting down the cash.

Well, I've got one with an Aimpoint you can try - I'm sure we've got plenty of folks on here with etched glass or EOTechs you can try.

If you're on a budget, the Vortex in the classifieds is a good bargain from what I've read/heard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom