Need help: 1911A1 expertise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i orded some liquiod from brownells , stripped plating from broom handle mauser was easy chemical did al the work wood need reblue

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i orded some liquiod from brownells , stripped plating from broom handle mauser was easy chemical did al the work wood need reblue

Are you saying you need it to be refinished? If you want bluing or parkerizing, you want Honeybee or OlYeller (although, he's not as old as his name may imply).

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something you should always check on 1911's and a1's. Is that what it says on the slide doesn't mean much.
Its what it says on the frame that matters.
It can't say Essex,Caspian,Ranger etc.
And if you determine that it is a military frame. Is the serial number right for the slide and frame to match??
Things like a Rem Rand frame and a Ithaca slide means its a parts gun.
There are several sources to tell you what is correct and what is not.
I would hate to pay $1000-2000 thinking I'm getting an original, only to find out later all I got is a mismatched parts gun worth $400.
When dealing with military 45's its imperative you do your homework.

I saw a guy on Gunbroker yesterday trying to sell a Essex frame and Ithaca slide gun as an original gun and the bidding was up to like $800. A fool and his money are soon parted. the old saying goes.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something you should always check on 1911's and a1's. Is that what it says on the slide doesn't mean much.
Its what it says on the frame that matters.
It can't say Essex,Caspian,Ranger etc.
And if you determine that it is a military frame. Is the serial number right for the slide and frame to match??
Things like a Rem Rand frame and a Ithaca slide means its a parts gun.
There are several sources to tell you what is correct and what is not.
I would hate to pay $1000-2000 thinking I'm getting an original, only to find out later all I got is a mismatched parts gun worth $400.
When dealing with military 45's its imperative you do your homework.

I saw a guy on Gunbroker yesterday trying to sell a Essex frame and Ithaca slide gun as an original gun and the bidding was up to like $800. A fool and his money are soon parted. the old saying goes.

Yeah, I've always been kind of nervous about trading for the old G.I. models 'cause I don't know enough about them.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, man. I looked through every book I have, and afew of my Dads and couldn't find anything like that.

No problem to help an Arkansas boy!

:)

(My family hails from oppelo back in the late 1800s to 1920s... I need to get out to Conway county and do some geneology.)

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My family name is Perry, but the more established family my great grandfather Perry married into had the names Wolfe, Hinkle, and Drake.

Latest posts

Top Bottom