Need help deciding on a caliber of a bolt rifle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I sold my last bolt rifle and finally have a chance to get another. I have my mind set on a rem 700 sps tactical. My problem is, That I thought I had made my mind up on a .223 because I have a surplus of .223 ammo that would last me quite sometime in a bolt. it would be great for yotes, and Zombies, or even Chinese Nazi's But what got me thinking was Say I got super lucky and landed a job where this gun could possibly come into play. I am not sure it has the power if I had to shoot through something like glass. My max shots with this thing would probably be 250-300 yrds. they only make it in a .223 and .308 which I love both, So what do you guys think, start all over collecting .308 and buy the bigger one? or save my cash for a nicer optic and go with the .223? Also I forgot to add that If I get another AR platform in .556 I could get one can to use on both guns. so that is always a plus for .223

picture and specs here

OVERVIEW:

The Model 700 SPS puts legendary Model 700 accuracy and reliability within reach of most avid enthusiasts. It's a no-frills, tack-driving game-dropping machine built with eveything you love about the Model 700, including a hammer-forged barrel, externally adjustable X-Mark Pro® trigger, SuperCell™ recoil pad and, of course, hair-splitting precision, straight out of the box. It features an ultr-rugged, ergonomically designed synthetic stock for superior weather resistance and handling.

The Model 700 SPS Tactical is a highly maneuverable member of the family, built for tack driving accuracy with a 20" heavy-contour tactical-style barrel and dual-point pillar bedding in its black synthetic stock. Hogue® overmoldings on the stock facilitate sure handling, and it has a semi-beavertail fore-end for added stability off a rest. Chambering includes 223 Remington and 308 Win.

KEY FEATURES:

20" heavy barrel
X-Mark Pro Adjustable Trigger system
Hogue overmolded stock
Pillar bedded stock for accuracy
Durable satin black oxide metal finish
Hinged floorplate magazine

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If those are the only two calibers you're considering, I'd say to get the .308 (and btw, if you get the right 7.62 can, you can use it on 5.56 and it will work surprisingly well).

But note that the surplus 7.62 ammo out there will not be as forgiving as the surplus 5.56/cheap .223 ammo (from my experience anyway).

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If those are the only two calibers you're considering, I'd say to get the .308 (and btw, if you get the right 7.62 can, you can use it on 5.56 and it will work surprisingly well).

But note that the surplus 7.62 ammo out there will not be as forgiving as the surplus 5.56/cheap .223 ammo (from my experience anyway).

What do you mean by forgiving?

Reaction score
Just my two cents: If those are the only chambering options, then you're looking at the wrong rifles and asking the wrong question.

.260 Rem or BUST! :D :D

But obviously, .308 is the standard here for more punch. But if you're gonna step up and spend money, why not step up all the way to a chambering superior to the .308? Meaning .260 or similar. If you reload, anyway. If you don't reload, then .308 all the way. And definitely get something with at least a 22" barrel, or even 24" - the more velocity, the better. Not to mention less muzzle blast.

If you do get a .223, then look at Tikka with its 1 in 8" twist - it can stabilize the heavy 75 gr (& similar) bullets than will do a number on intermediate glass and keep right on going.

mavrick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think he means price wise. What twist barrel comes on the SPS in 223 I think its a 1-9 if that the case you can shoot the reasonable heavey 223 like 68-69 grain bullets

Dustin

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 in 9 twist on the .223 I want the .20" barrel for easier toting around and easier maneuvering. I am gonna with remington because I can get a small discount on their rifles. and the sps tactical is already pretty cheap so it really puts it in my price range. I have read they are getting sub .5moa out of the box so it will already shoot better than I will and I don't plan on anything out past 300yrds really. If and when that day comes I will be getting a whole different rifle to fill that role.

so I am still undecided, any more opinions?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 in 9 twist on the .223 I want the .20" barrel for easier toting around and easier maneuvering. I am gonna with remington because I can get a small discount on their rifles. and the sps tactical is already pretty cheap so it really puts it in my price range. I have read they are getting sub .5moa out of the box so it will already shoot better than I will and I don't plan on anything out past 300yrds really. If and when that day comes I will be getting a whole different rifle to fill that role.

so I am still undecided, any more opinions?

I've been able to shoot sub-moa .223 (federal bulk from Wal-Mart) out of numerous barrels (that's what I meant by forgiving). I've got two match-chambered .308s - one is a Broughton barrel that GAP did the chamber on, the other is a Hart barrel that Steve Baldwin cut for me.

I've discovered more than a few brands of cheap .308 or 7.62 that make for an awful day at the range because they're not all seated even close to the same from round to round. That will cause more than MOA difference in shooting a lot of times and it means you basically have to hand-pick your rounds out of the bulk stuff in .308 in order to get decent accuracy.

$.50-$.60 per round sounds good until you only get to use 1/2 - 2/3 of your ammo for precision stuff and basically shoot the rest with no expectation of good accuracy.

You don't need a 22" or 24" barrel - there have been numerous SBRs on this site and others that have shown that you can ding steel at 400yds with a barrel under 14" using .223/5.56 and over on the hide, there are more than a few folks who have done very well with a 16" and 18" .308 (I'd say better than anyone I know).

Barrel twist is another thing that doesn't matter nearly as much as quality - a crappy barrel in 30" with a 1/8 twist won't shoot anything close to what a quality barrel will do out of 10" with a 1/9 twist (yes, even heavier stuff like your 69gr and 75gr).

Velocity doesn't always equal accuracy - especially in a .308 - many tests have been done to show this - shorter barrels have actually shown to be more accurate in a lot of cases (not a blanket statement by any means).

Problem is, Remington barrels are hit or miss, so don't count on having a higher quality barrel just because its off of a "Tactical" model.

My philosophy is still - get the cheapest 700 model you can find, throw a B&C stock (or HS take-off, or even a Hogue bedded) on it and upgrade the barrel to a Hart from Steve Baldwin and you've got a very nice shooting rifle for less than $1000.

If you're sticking with a factory gun, check out the 700P, the LTR (both from their Law Enforcement / Military site) model as well as the 5R Milspec.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you get super lucky and get a job where you might have to shoot through glass? Like maybe a police sniper situation? Don't they furnish rifles for that type thing?

Seems to me like you answered your own question. 223 is good enough for 250 -300 yards. And since you already have ammo for it..........

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the .223 everyone should have at least one.

And later if you need something heavier you have the prefect excuse to get another rifle.

So how are you going to scope it??

Love my Savage m10LE .223, 20in./Leupold 6.5 X 20 varmint reticule.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I'd get the .308. It would be more versatile. Whether you are killing paper, coyotes, deer, bad people the .308 will do it all. BTW I have a 700 sps in .22-250 not tatical. Its very accurate, excellent trigger and I love it.