Need help deciding on a caliber of a bolt rifle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I have to say it...257 WEATHERBY!!!!!!!!!FTW 115gr nosler bst at 3400fps = a laser of a rifle and a deer thumper! I know I know expensive to shoot, but that is why I reload!

SevenSixTwo

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
.308 all the way, it can do anything between 0-300yds that a .223/5.56 can, and if you have to it can go all the way out to 1000yards (if you do your part) Also, most any sniper school/course is going to require a longer range cartridge than the .223 so why take the chance on having to do this all over again? Also, military and police snipers have been using .308 for decades so all the wind doping and cartridge loads/bullet weights have already been figured out for ideal shooting, cutting you work and research time in half. Ballistically there are far superior rounds, as has been pointed out (.260 is an AWESOME round, .300 win mag is quickly becoming a military favorite as well), but as far as groundwork on load developement and shooting data there isn't a round out there that has been more developed than the .308. I would get the .308 because it will do very well from 0-300, and will have to kick to get you out further should you take a fancy to precision shooting. I wouldn't worry about ammo, you won't be putting thousands of rounds a year through this thing and you will want as much of that as possible to be quality match ammo (now is a good time to begin reloading). With all that said, get the one you want, because in the end you will probably end up getting both!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Persoanlly i'd rather have a .308. I had a remington 700 in .308 i sold to someone on here that i never even fired......(bills :finger:)

Hey was that that ADL? I think I bought that rifle from you man - and its now my son's setup. I've only got the Bolt and Receiver from the original rifle - everything else has been upgraded :)

Nightops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you fancy yourself shooting 300 yards through glass at 2-legged varmints, go for the .308. Save the surplus ammo for an auto-loader that will beat up the rounds chambering it. If you are trying to build an accurate rifle platform, don't waste your time and money by feeding it inaccurate ammo.