Need Help with XD 6 O'Clock aim issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got an XD9 Service with factory sights. It's shooting high and I'm confident it has a 6 O'Clock aim after looking it up. I prefer point of aim. What are my options? Is the gun 6 O'Clock or are the sights 6 O'Clock? I'm looking at websites for new sights and they don't mention what point of aim they are... If I get adjustable sights, then I could just adjust them, right?. I work at a Machine Shop. Could I modify my factory sights my milling out the rear sight, or would you need to "add material"? Please reply if you have experience in this matter. I'm not interested in opinions or suggestions. Thanks

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
its doesnt have a 6o clock aim. Most likely your pushing down on the gun when youre squeezing (jerking) the trigger. if you are, then youll have a varying degree of impact distance from the point of aim, depending on how far you are from the target.

Regardless, let me know how low it is hitting from the desired point of aim, in inches, and let me know how far you are from the target, and Ill get you some values that youll need to cut your front sight down to.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
its doesnt have a 6o clock aim. Most likely your pushing down on the gun when youre squeezing (jerking) the trigger. if you are, then youll have a varying degree of impact distance from the point of aim, depending on how far you are from the target.

Regardless, let me know how low it is hitting from the desired point of aim, in inches, and let me know how far you are from the target, and Ill get you some values that youll need to cut your front sight down to.

I pick up my five other handguns and aim dead center, they hit dead center. I pick up the XD aim dead center- I hit high (how much varies depending on distance). Everything online says XD's have a 6 o'clock aim.
So if I take the XD and aim 6 o'clock, I'm dead on.... How can it not have a 6 0'clock aim?

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You want it to shoot lower use a lighter bullet(less barrel time) or file some off the top of the rear sight.

If it were me I would leave it alone and learn to shoot with a 6 "O"clock hold that way I see all the target all the time.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I pick up my five other handguns and aim dead center, they hit dead center. I pick up the XD aim dead center- I hit high (how much varies depending on distance). Everything online says XD's have a 6 o'clock aim.
So if I take the XD and aim 6 o'clock, I'm dead on.... How can it not have a 6 0'clock aim?

so at 100yds you have a 6 oclock aim?? if youre aiming at a pie pan at 2 feet are you using a six o clock hold? How big is the clock? Your barrel is simply just not lined up with your sights, you need a taller front sight (I misspoke in my first post) You need a taller front sight, so if youre going to do any milling, youd have to mill down the rear sight to correct the point of aim.

Most people that have this same problem merely say "My gun is shooting high" , not "I have a gun thats set up for a six o clock hold".

A 6oclock hold is a specific sight setup for a specific target at a specific distance. So unless someone at the factory or the man who had the gun before you set it up to shoot bullseye competition, yours is just high.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so at 100yds you have a 6 oclock aim?? if youre aiming at a pie pan at 2 feet are you using a six o clock hold? How big is the clock? Your barrel is simply just not lined up with your sights, you need a taller front sight (I misspoke in my first post) You need a taller front sight, so if youre going to do any milling, youd have to mill down the rear sight to correct the point of aim.

Most people that have this same problem merely say "My gun is shooting high" , not "I have a gun thats set up for a six o clock hold".

A 6oclock hold is a specific sight setup for a specific target at a specific distance. So unless someone at the factory or the man who had the gun before you set it up to shoot bullseye competition, yours is just high.

Are there some sights you would recommend?

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
dawson precision sells sights in different heights.
Like I said, if you give me some more info, I can tell you how much higher of a front sight youll need. Something like at 10yds, Im shooting 3.5" high from my point of aim.
Or you can do the calculation yourself

error x sight radius / distance = difference needed

gotta be all in inches.

so say 3.5" x 5" sight radius / 360inches (10yds) =.0486

so if you have a .180" tall front sight, youll need a .049" taller front sight. So a .230" tall sight is the ticket.

Just guessing on the xd service radius; its probably closer to 6".

good luck

Latest posts

Top Bottom