Need info on these old guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom K

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, I think its a .32 cal lemon squeezer from what I have found out. I have been told the value in this condition is between $200-900, I think the low side of that.I would like to find out what year it was, any way of finding that out?

If it's a .32 (it should say so on the left side of the barrel) the S&W is a 1st Model .32 Safety Hammerless, also known as a New Departure or Lemon Squeezer. The serial number range is 1 to 91417 and they were manufactured from 1888-1902. The ammo it takes would be the .32 S&W, NOT the .32 S&W Long, .32 ACP or .32 H&R Magnum.

With the rather poor nickel finish remaining, value would be in the $200 range or maybe less, except I think the mother of pearl grips might have some added value if they're not chipped or cracked. They appear vintage, although are not factory (no S&W medallions).

The Stoeger Luger .22 is a Luger in name only. Stoeger owned the Luger name in the USA and marked their guns as such. Even though it uses a toggle mechanism, there is no internal similarity to a real Luger Parabellum. It's just a lookalike plinker for fun, and they are usually jammamatics.

It looks like it's in very good shape - similar guns have gone for around $300 on Gunbroker. Selling it locally will probably bring less than that, but avoid the hassle of shipping.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had one of the Stoegers. Like most have mentioned, they are really good for slowing down the ammo usage. Shoot 3-4...fix a jam....shoot 3-4....fix a jam.

The Smith is cool.

Tulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What the heck, I'll go $125. and even come pick it up.

You are not allowed to post in our classifieds with such a low post count.

Seriously I would hold on to them until you get a real valuation for them and know where to market them.

Gunbroker presently has the 22 for sale from $395 to $650

I have an internet offer of $200 on the Stoeger. Not sure if I mentioned, I do not have the mag.

Tom K

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So if since the serial number is 83541 it was manufactured between those dates?

That should be the case, according to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (3rd edition), by Jim Supica and Richard Nahas. If you really wanted to know more you could "letter" the gun, by filling out a form and sending it to Roy Jinks, the S&W historian. The information you'll get is the date the gun was shipped and who to (usually a major distributor), and the original barrel length, finish and grips. However the cost of lettering a gun is $50, so unless it went to someone notable it's probably not worth it.

FYI, here's the site for getting a gun lettered: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...catalogId=11101&content=25301&sectionId=10504

Tulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the Info Tom.

If anyone is interested in either of these guns, let me know, I would like to get rid of them, I have some work around the house that needs financed. If I knew anything about guns I would post around the forum so my post count would be high enough to post in classifieds.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The old nickel finish, whats left of it anyway, is fragile. Do NOT use conventional Hoppe's solvent nor Shooters Choice on it. Both will strip nickel given a little time.

I would advise that you NOT attempt to clean up the S&W, because you'll probably do more harm than good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom