Need Opinions on a Red Dot for a Siaga 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how cluttered your FOV is if you're using the red dot the right way. All you see is the target and a red dot hovering in space on it. Being able to have proper cheek weld is much more important. You might try to find a used older model Aimpoint. You probably wont be able to find a deal quite this good, but I recently found a Comp M for $80. They don't have the battery life of the newer ones, but they are durable. I stuck it on my scout rifle and like it with that type of setup.

I have to disagree on the cluttered FOV. In my personaly experience, I tried running a T1 on an ultimak with a flashlight mount on the ultimak and of course the fixed front sight. In this situation, there were too many things right in front of the optic that was blocking at least 1/3 of the small 20mm tubes FOV. Don't get me wrong, I could still see the dot and make shots, but it wasn't ideal. If I removed the flashlight off the rail, that would have removed most of the clutter and the optic would have been way more usable. Instead of removing the light, I was able to utilize more of the whole tube when I backed it off the ultimak and installed it on an AKML.

I'll try to take pictures of both setups this weekend and post. Pictures might help explain what I am trying to say better.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would prefer having an unobstructed FOV too all things being equal, but if it comes to choosing between having a front sight tower in the lower part of your view or having to shoot with your head bobbling out in space with no cheek weld and no iron sights without removing your optic, I can live with a little obstruction. If you look through the dot and focus on the target, your mind doesn't even register the front sight. Plus you can use it for ranging.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would prefer having an unobstructed FOV too all things being equal, but if it comes to choosing between having a front sight tower in the lower part of your view or having to shoot with your head bobbling out in space with no cheek weld and no iron sights without removing your optic, I can live with a little obstruction. If you look through the dot and focus on the target, your mind doesn't even register the front sight. Plus you can use it for ranging.

Right, the front sight by itself doesn't even bother me. I don't notice it to be honest. It was the combination of the flashlight/mount and the front sight that made it too busy.

I prefer having lower 1/3 co-witness or true co-witness. I don't like the idea of have to remove an optic to use my irons.

Latest posts

Top Bottom