Need Opinions on a Red Dot for a Siaga 308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Signut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope this is the right sub forum to post this qestion to....

I have a Siaga 308 that i want to put a red dot scope on. I have a quad rail fore grip for the rifle which is where the sight will be installed... I know that Aimpoint is what i should be buying but they are pricey and availability is not so good. Everywhere i looked the Aimpoint PRO is out of stock. The M3 is more expensive than i would like to pay...not to mention the M4 pricetag.

So... my question is this... are there lower priced scopes that will work on a Siaga 308 that will hold up to the recoil that this rifle will dish out? I have heard quite a few good opinions of the Vortex Strikefire Red Dot scope. I looked at one at Bass Pro last weekend. Its definately not an EoTech or Aimpoint. There was alot of "red scatter" around the viewing area at close range viewing but it seemed to disipate at longer distance viewing as it would be on my rifle. And i personally thought the control buttons were "tweeky". I had to make repeaded attempts to turn the red dot on...which is not exactly a good thing.

I think i am stuck buying an Aimpoint? I want a durable red dot sight that will not let me down if i ever need it for a bad situation. This Rifle is going to be my main go to/battle rifle for SHTF if it ever comes to that.

Please give me some advice on this. Thanks.

mike
sn

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Bushnell TRS-25 is a good "cheap" red dot. However, if this was going to be my go-to rifle, I would put something I would trust more on it. Like an Aimpoint.

You said you are running a front rail. Will mounting the optic to the front rail allow you to co-witness your irons, or is this important to you? Personally, I still want to see/use my irons with a red dot on my rifle in case the optic fails. An ultimak or my favorite, the RS Regulate mounts will allow you to do this. I run a T1 on my AK with a RSRegulate AKML mount for reference.

Signut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Bushnell TRS-25 is a good "cheap" red dot. However, if this was going to be my go-to rifle, I would put something I would trust more on it. Like an Aimpoint.

You said you are running a front rail. Will mounting the optic to the front rail allow you to co-witness your irons, or is this important to you? Personally, I still want to see/use my irons with a red dot on my rifle in case the optic fails. An ultimak or my favorite, the RS Regulate mounts will allow you to do this. I run a T1 on my AK with a RSRegulate AKML mount for reference.

No...i hate co-witnessing with iron sights. I was thinking about a quick detach type of mount that would allow me to quickly detach the optic in case of an optic failure.

I have also heard many good opinions of the TRS-25 I think you are right though...an Aimpoint would be the correct choice.

mike
sn

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer a lower 1/3 co-witness myself. But a QD mount should work fine. I'd recommend something like a T1 or H1 if it's going to be run up front in the "scout" position. I try to save as much weight as I can up front. If at all possible. Every bit helps, especially when you mount a flashlight and/or a handstop/VFG.

Btw, I'm curious. What do you hate about the co-witnessing of irons through the optic?

-Jake

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vortex Strikefire has been an absolute workhorse on the AR-10. 2k+/- rounds and still holding that zero on a quick detach Larue mount. Is the Aimpoint better??? Hells yes it is... But that strikefire is on sale at BassPro right now for $170, just ordered three more myself.

Signut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Btw, I'm curious. What do you hate about the co-witnessing of irons through the optic?

-Jake

To me it seems like a cluttered view....
Kinda like a favorite color...red, blue, green...whatever color...everyone has a favorite buy can you explain why? I can't. My favorite color is Red. Don't know why, just is...

Don't cheap out on me honey. Buy once, cry once!

Just like a diamond ring, huh? lol

Vortex Strikefire has been an absolute workhorse on the AR-10. 2k+/- rounds and still holding that zero on a quick detach Larue mount. Is the Aimpoint better??? Hells yes it is... But that strikefire is on sale at BassPro right now for $170, just ordered three more myself.

That's what i have been hearing about them. All the youtube vids are positive. Thanks.

mike
sn

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me it seems like a cluttered view....
Kinda like a favorite color...red, blue, green...whatever color...everyone has a favorite buy can you explain why? I can't. My favorite color is Red. Don't know why, just is...

I'm also a fan of red, ha. I see what you are saying though. With a true co-witness and the ability to not flip down your sights, it will be cluttered. The lower 1/3 option is not as cluttered to me. Of course flip down sights like those on an AR are the best. Not an option on an AK unfortunately.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't speak of all multi-color options in red dots, but in my experience, every single optic I've ever purchased that had two different color reticles (ie, both red and green with the flip of a switch) the zero's would always be different regardless of price point. $30-$300 optics... All held different zero's between reticle colors.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how cluttered your FOV is if you're using the red dot the right way. All you see is the target and a red dot hovering in space on it. Being able to have proper cheek weld is much more important. You might try to find a used older model Aimpoint. You probably wont be able to find a deal quite this good, but I recently found a Comp M for $80. They don't have the battery life of the newer ones, but they are durable. I stuck it on my scout rifle and like it with that type of setup.

Latest posts

Top Bottom