New article on the FBI 9mm decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading the article then going through the comments at the bottom someone made a valid point: "The're not talking about a huge factor here. If your firing into "the shirtless moron", .40 S&W vs 9mm is not that big of a difference, but that is not real life. Bring in layered clothing, and, or, cover and, you have a totally different game afoot."

The layered clothing debate is what interests me...not so much the "cover" penetration argument since im not going to be shooting at what I cant see.

I had a retired OK cop tell me a story about shooting a guy with 9mm wearing an army field jacket. He claimed that the bullets didn't penetrate the coat and were brushed off the mans clothing afterwards. Supposedly a second cop showed up at some point with his 45acp and saved the day by killing the individual. When I asked what type of ammo the 9mm was he said P+ hollow points. Now...I just really have a hard time believing that story but curious if anyone has had a similar experience. I couldn't help but feel like he heard the story from someone who heard the story from someone, etc...

I am personally a 9mm guy for the pros stated in the article: extra capacity and quicker follow up shots.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Don't know what army field jackets are made of, but I fired a .38spl through a pile of folded clothes once, on accident, and the hollow point filled with cloth and didn't expand. It went through about 12 garments before stopping, or at least 40 layers.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After reading the article then going through the comments at the bottom someone made a valid point: "The're not talking about a huge factor here. If your firing into "the shirtless moron", .40 S&W vs 9mm is not that big of a difference, but that is not real life. Bring in layered clothing, and, or, cover and, you have a totally different game afoot."

The layered clothing debate is what interests me...not so much the "cover" penetration argument since im not going to be shooting at what I cant see.

I had a retired OK cop tell me a story about shooting a guy with 9mm wearing an army field jacket. He claimed that the bullets didn't penetrate the coat and were brushed off the mans clothing afterwards. Supposedly a second cop showed up at some point with his 45acp and saved the day by killing the individual. When I asked what type of ammo the 9mm was he said P+ hollow points. Now...I just really have a hard time believing that story but curious if anyone has had a similar experience. I couldn't help but feel like he heard the story from someone who heard the story from someone, etc...

I am personally a 9mm guy for the pros stated in the article: extra capacity and quicker follow up shots.

The story is BS. 9mm will not only penetrate the field jacket, but several more inches of the bad guy as well. So if you think it's gonna clog up with material; how'd you like a big old bloody wad of torn up clothing shoved rapidly and forcefully about 10-12 inches (and I think that's pretty conservative) into your torso? I'll pass.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know what army field jackets are made of, but I fired a .38spl through a pile of folded clothes once, on accident, and the hollow point filled with cloth and didn't expand. It went through about 12 garments before stopping, or at least 40 layers.

Sounds like a good story. :)

I read so much stuff on the internet, all different angles, and finally came to the conclusion that a lot of it is "misremembered", ,3rd hand info.

Hard to believe that a 9mm +P HP would fail to penetrate a field jacket.
Just think what a 380 would have done. ;(

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like a good story. :)

I read so much stuff on the internet, all different angles, and finally came to the conclusion that a lot of it is "misremembered", ,3rd hand info.

Hard to believe that a 9mm +P HP would fail to penetrate a field jacket.
Just think what a 380 would have done. ;(

Based on that story the 380 would have bounced off of the jacket, hit the shooter, bounced off of him, then hit the perp again and land in his army field jacket pocket... LOL

It amazes me the unbelievable stuff people will repeat, because it came from a "reliable source"...

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would encourage everyone to spend some considerable time on YouTube watching the clips of ballistic gel tests, both with and WO 4layers of denim.

I can see the the point in the FBI move to 9mm.
It would be nice if they could make up their minds and save the taxpayers some money.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would encourage everyone to spend some considerable time on YouTube watching the clips of ballistic gel tests, both with and WO 4layers of denim.

I can see the the point in the FBI move to 9mm.
It would be nice if they could make up their minds and save the taxpayers some money.

didnt they just buy ...like 4 billion rounds of 40 cal hp's

Latest posts

Top Bottom