New Beretta U22 Range Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Scott

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mission:

Research and purchase a .22LR pistol that is reliable and affordable to train my children to shoot and to have an economical fun gun to shoot for the whole family.

Research:

I've read every thing i could about semi auto .22LR pistols on this forum and a few other well known forums. All of my perceptions were based upon what I've read and not actual experience. I had narrowed the selection down to the Browning Buckmark, S&W 22a, the Beretta. I also considered the Ruger Mk III and Walther P22 but I've owned a Ruger Mk I and never cared for it and the Walther, although the best looking gun seemed to be finnicky on the type of ammo more so than other pistols I read about. I do believe going into this, that all .22LR pistols will have FTF's and FTE's from time to time to varying degrees. The Buckmark seemed to be at the top in popularity and possibly reliability by a little. The Smith read as being a little more ammo sensitive, but certainly a nice looking weapon. The Beretta had a decent reputation for its diet of different brands of .22 ammo but it was kind of strange looking.

So I set off to SportsWorld and had them plop all three out on the counter for me to lay hands upon. Ultimately the one that just felt best in my hand was the Beretta. My son and daughter could also grip it well and it seemed to fit them also. So I handed over the cash, they made to call to the Feds and we were out the door and to the range for further testing.

At the Range:

All I had with me was a 550 bulk pack of Federal from Wal Mart. This ammo works well in my Sig 522 and M&P 15-22 so I figured it would in the Beretta. I first mounted a Millett SP1 red dot scope and did a quick sight in from 25 yards. From this distance using a barrel rest I was getting 2-3 inch groups which was probably more operator error than gun accuracy. We then moved over to the plate racks and shot those from about 15 yards back and 25 yards back. The scope seemed to be dead on because none of us we really having a problem knocking down plates. This gun did cause many smiles and some squabbling over who got to shoot it next. All in all we shot 400 rounds. My daughter had the only FTE, it stovepiped and it could have been attributed to her limp wristing the gun. I think that's pretty good reliability.

Conclusion:

We all like our new space gun and it definitely fulfills the requirement for FUN. I'm happy with our choice. We got a reasonably priced shooter with good fit and finish that's easy to take down and clean that seems to like the cheap Wal Mart ammo. Now I have to worry which child will want their own in the near future!

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for posting this. I had posted in another thread that I was considering either the Beretta U22 or the S&W 22A. The wife got to handle the Beretta, but she hasn't laid hands on the S&W yet. Your input helps. Thanks!

Jeff Scott

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for posting this. I had posted in another thread that I was considering either the Beretta U22 or the S&W 22A. The wife got to handle the Beretta, but she hasn't laid hands on the S&W yet. Your input helps. Thanks!

No problem. I don't think you could go wrong with either. I wouldn't mind owning both. Good luck with your decision!

jujuboy77

Marksman
Reaction score
i also own a u22 but i have not had as good of an experience with it. first the safety is uncomfortable for my hands and i dont think i have large hands but it digs into my thumb and it is quite dificult to rotate from a aimed position. second i the factory sights are junk! the front blade is way thick and the rear is off level and hard to adjust (fixed with a red dot). as well i had to send mine back to the factory because it will jam on the last round in every mag all and all i am not very satisfied with the over all product i think i will be looking for a buckmark

Jeff Scott

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i also own a u22 but i have not had as good of an experience with it. first the safety is uncomfortable for my hands and i dont think i have large hands but it digs into my thumb and it is quite dificult to rotate from a aimed position. second i the factory sights are junk! the front blade is way thick and the rear is off level and hard to adjust (fixed with a red dot). as well i had to send mine back to the factory because it will jam on the last round in every mag all and all i am not very satisfied with the over all product i think i will be looking for a buckmark

I will agree with you on the safety. Its a little cumbersome. And the factory sights are just ok, but I get what you're saying. I read a lot about the sights so that's why I immediately put a red dot on it and I absolutely love the optic on that pistol. As far as the jams, what brand of ammo have you tried in it? I know from reading threads on a variety of .22 pistols that are ammo sensitive that CCI mini mags seem to work well for people. Sorry to hear about your problems with it. Have you got it back from the factory yet? I'd be interested to hear how it shoots when you get it back.

Jeff

jujuboy77

Marksman
Reaction score
I will agree with you on the safety. Its a little cumbersome. And the factory sights are just ok, but I get what you're saying. I read a lot about the sights so that's why I immediately put a red dot on it and I absolutely love the optic on that pistol. As far as the jams, what brand of ammo have you tried in it? I know from reading threads on a variety of .22 pistols that are ammo sensitive that CCI mini mags seem to work well for people. Sorry to hear about your problems with it. Have you got it back from the factory yet? I'd be interested to hear how it shoots when you get it back.

Jeff

i have shot multiple types of ammo from cci cheap to match grade, remington, winchester, elley match. the issue is in the mag well allowing the mag to set to high. i got it back and my kids and wife love shooting it and with scope im invested around 300.00 so for the money it will probably keep its home but i would not purchase again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom