New Hunter, New Feeder - Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoryHawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First let me start by I AM SO EXCITED FOR OCT 1. Now thats outta the way to the meat of the post...

I had never been deer hunting before last year. I got to hit the woods (on WMA mind you) with my brother in law last season. Saw signs of deer.. but never saw one in the wild that wasn't on the road as we were driving to or from. Still had a blast and caught the bug. First time was during rifle season and even though I never saw a deer I went ahead and got a bow to extend the season out. Only really had access to Thunderbird since I live in OKC and went out 5-6 more times to try my luck.

Now to this season,...

My new partner has some land in Logan County and after talking on Sunday he said I was welcome to go out there and hunt. He said he used to kill all his deer there but hasn't been "grooming" it for 2+ years now. He had a build tree stand that is large enough to fit 4 people comfortably (not that you would.. just stating that for size). He had a feeder barrel and stand and I just got a motor for it.

I know it is late to be making changes to the area with the season about to open but hopefully they will be used to it by rifle season at least.

I just put normal corn in it.. and put a Trophy Block out. Few questions about the feeder:

• How often should I have it feed? I have it set just to feed 15 mins before sunrise and 15 mins before sunset for 8 seconds. Is that enough? Any tips or suggestions?
  • What are the rules on private land and feeders? I know and read the restrictions on WMAs, but what about hunting a feeder on Private Land?
  • Any other tips or suggestions are welcome.

Now for why I am excited....

I did put a trail cam out there.. just the cheap Wildgame cam and was hoping I set it up correctly.. and what do you know.. I have a friend. Had to go out today to shore up the stand and fix the ladder and needed to clear a few branches. Just happened to have my lap top so I decided what the hell.. I'll check the camera...

www.coryhawk.com_pictures_deer_9_19_Doe.JPG

Guess having something at my feeder less than 24 hours is a good sign.. Hopefully she brings friends!

Being new.. any tips or suggestions are welcome! Thanks and happy Huntin!

CCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your feed frequency and length of time are fine. No restrictions on hunting deer over your feeder. Turkey cannot be hunted within 100 yards of a feeder, so just get 100 yards away and get between your feeder and the roost and you are good to go.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool man! I'd love to see you hooked up to a heart monitor the first time you see a deer step out in the open! I still shake like a dog poopin razor blades sometimes, all I can say is practice, practice, practice with your bow. Good luck and I hope you get one! Post some pics if you do!

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being a new deer hunter :hyper:, I'll point out that those heavy set 'single' prong deer are really Cows or steers.

Seriously, it looks like you are set to have a good deer season. Once the rut starts, your little friend should definitely have some boy friends show up. Wish you lots of luck.

My most exciting deer hunt was when I had been sitting in the tree stand for several hours. I had seen a very nice buck in a small clearing just on the other side of some trees where I was set-up on a different clearing.

My light was all but gone... about 15 minutes after sun-set... it was the last day of the bow season... and I wanted a deer so bad I could taste the meat. Well, all of a sudden I saw a large dark figure ease out from under some brush... approx. 25 yards in front of me. I knew it was that buck I'd seen earlier. I drew back and was just taking the tension out of the release when that big ole 'Buck' flew straight up at me into the tree!!!!!! Turned out it was a big ole Tom Turkey going to roost. Scared the living hell out of me! I flung my bow at it [I didn't know what it was at the time] and grabbed for a handhold on a branch... this was before I started using a safety strap attached to the tree. It is a wonder I didn't fall out of the tree and break my neck.

Once I realized that it was just a turkey it was pretty funny... but when that bird had come up off the ground with that wide wing span and a loud gobble.. it looked & sounded like a B-52 bomber on take-off... headed straight for me. I'd love to have had a video of that. :P

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is my first true bow season, though I've hunted rifle a few times and black powder last year. I've killed 4 deer so far, but hope to make it 11 by the end of the year. I don't have much advice other than what I've been told and that is practice, practice, practice. And practice from your stand if you can, and practice sitting in your stand to shoot because often you aren't able to stand up and take a shot as the deer are too on edge. Also it sounds like it won't be an issue with your stand, but one thing I didn't think about when I initially put my stand up was angling it. Particularly sitting down you can't shoot comfortable and solidly much past straight forward, so angle your stand off to the right (if you're right handed) so you have a better angle at shooting in the areas you want.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP, did you have any luck at Thunderbird last year? I went myself a few times and only saw does twice. Gets a pretty good amount of pressure from other hunters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom