New hunting dog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got new hunting puppy for free he is half GSH and half lab supposed to be the new hybrid pionter and retriever anyone have any experience with this new breed?

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK these dogs are called German Shorthair Labs have done several searches on them and they seem to be a great all around hunting dog points, retrieves waterfowl ect ect. They are in the process of trying to get the breed reconized by the AKC setting guide lines for breed, but that is probably pretty far off. So anyway we have already started training him he's super smart, and loves training cause it's natural playing to him.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For akc to reconize GSHL ,first they need a National Breed Club to set the standard for GSHL's (ie;color ,size,shape,temperament) 2 a set number of dogs have to be registered by the National Club ,3 a set number of dogs need to be made champions by the national club,4 they need to lobby AKC to get in .To show that GSHL is more than a handful of rednecks who think "this be a good dawg to hunt!". There are a lot of cross breeds dogs out there with no national club standard

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why not select a Britt? Always known as a poachers dog, and they will hunt anything they are trained to do. I've used them for upland game as well as waterfowl.

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For akc to reconize GSHL ,first they need a National Breed Club to set the standard for GSHL's (ie;color ,size,shape,temperament) 2 a set number of dogs have to be registered by the National Club ,3 a set number of dogs need to be made champions by the national club,4 they need to lobby AKC to get in .To show that GSHL is more than a handful of rednecks who think "this be a good dawg to hunt!". There are a lot of cross breeds dogs out there with no national club standard

The American Canine Hybrid Club and Designers Dogs Kennel Club ergo two national clubs are working with the AKC to have them as a reconized breed. If I am not to redneck enough to spell it out for you, but I did put some research in my new pup before ran out and try to train a beagel to point? Thanks for your worthless post it really helped answer my question? And I will put any of my redneck dogs that I have trained including my new pup come Jan aganist anything "YOU" trained. But thn again that is probably to "redneck" for you.

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not select a Britt? Always known as a poachers dog, and they will hunt anything they are trained to do. I've used them for upland game as well as waterfowl.

I do have 2 brits I hunt and they are the best IMO but my oldest is getting a little slow in the field this will be my last year to hunt her, and then she will be my lap dog. This hybrid breed does remind me allot of all around utlity of my brits that is why I wanted to train one. What is a poachers dog I have never heard that term?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is a poachers dog I have never heard that term?

Back in the day, and maybe now, I don't know, but poachers that poached year around liked the Britts as they could be trained to trail deer, run rabbits, jump quail, retrieve waterfowl, or anything else. Been running them for upland birds(in season of course) for around 30 years now.

Reaction score
Congrats on the new puppy - should be a good one.

Something I don't understand, though...

Why on earth would anyone - any person or group - who actually likes dogs and likes a breed (as opposed to hating dogs or hating the breed in question) actually WANT to get the Amerian Kennel Club, massive joke and abomination that they are**, to recognize a breed,rather than just getting them recognized in their own clubs that do NOT actually actively harm the breed, once recognized, and which promote and focus on working ability (and health and temperament)???

Didn't the Border Collie folks actually try their damndest to resist recognition for that very reason? Why, why , why?

**If you don't know how badly the AKC sucks, then I can fill you in on that, but in a nutshell, it's horrible for any good working breed, since (a) their standards are complete crap / nonsense (nothing more than parents' being registered is required for registration!), and (b) they don't even think about or look at working ability in the slighest - it's all about looks/conformation, and really not even that since there are NO conformation standards applied to registration, either in the dog itself or in the parents! Let alone working ability standards.

They care absolutely not one whit about working ability or health, and only about 1/2 of 1 whit about temperament.

Every time throughout history, when the AKC recognizes a breed, the breed quickly goes downhill, diluted and perverted by thousands of backyard breeders.

The cynical side of me says that those who are pushing for this are not interested at all in the breed, but solely about the $$ that can be made by them from backyard breeding, upon AKC recognition.

AKC is the biggest joke on earth.....bah, you 'got me started.'

Also, I thought the GSP and GLP were *already* considered the ultimate versatile working dog and would retrieve in water just fine.. No?

Latest posts

Top Bottom