New Redhawk or S&W Mountain Gun in .45 Colt (LC)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you prefer?

• 4" Redhawk

Votes: 34 58.6%
  • S&W Mountain Gun

Votes: 24 41.4%

• Total voters

rramer25

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did vote 4" Ruger, but I have had both through my hands. I do like the idea of the S&W for all day carry, packing etc.. But a good belt and the right holster would solve that issue for the Ruger.

Both were the .44 mag version and the S&W was NOT comfortable with the hot loads, we did have rounds jump crimp as well.

waynemorgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S & W for sure (if you can find a pre lock get it )rugers are gun guns ,some are great . but the s&w still is the best.

i have only 1 s&w with a lock it is a 460 with a 5 inch barrel
and i will never use that lock thay suck

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know about the current Redhawk 45LC, but my 5.5 revolver had undersized chambers. Brownells and some $$$ fixed this. Great shooting revolver now.

I used to own a Mountain revolver in both .357 and .44. For some idiototic reason that I don't recall I sold or traded them both.:cry3:

jdgabbard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smiths are pretty, own two of 'em. But nothing compares to a Ruger, i own 3 of them. A slight bit heavier, but for that you get a Abrams compared to a T66... Its a clear choice for me.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Even though I'm a dyed in the wool SW fan(Pre-lock/Pre-MIM) I picked the Ruger. If your planning on running medium to hot loads in it, she'll take it and ask for more. With a good holster and belt, you on't notice it any more than you would a K-frame or GP100 sitting on your hip.

Now my personal opinion, I pack a SW 624 with a 4"bbl. Throwing a 250grLSW at around 900fps. That will do anything I need it to do in the wilds of Oklahoma.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've handled the new Redhawk, shot the old Redhawk, owned three Smith Mtn Guns (.44,.45,.44) and this is the only one I would own....(still do)
[Broken External Image]

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own several S&W Mountain Guns, including the .45Colt., and it carries and shoots well.

But, I've also spent some range time with Ruger Redhawks.

Either would be fine to carry/hunt with.

The real plus for the S&W is the trigger---mine is glass smooth and it didn't require much effort to get it that way.

I'm sure there are some 'smiths that can do a good job with the Ruger, but I haven't tried it.

A plus for the Ruger is durability, but to me it feels kinda clunky if you're used to handling the Smiths,.....like it'd be suitable for hammering nails in between shots.

Yep the Smiths look prettier, the lockwork feels more precise, etc., etc.

Either one should serve you very well.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Redhawk if you plan to shoot it. .44 does with ease what .45 has to strain to do. Rugers are stronger. My Redhawk was painful to shoot with Pachmayer grips. When I bought a factory stock set of rosewood grips, the pain went away. It's heavy, but has a pretty nice trigger and will kill the heck out of a big charging hog (ask me how I know . . . )

As everyone else has said, if it's to carry a lot and shoot a little, get something light. I also have a Super Redhawk that is even heavier (and stronger). It is scoped, and it's a handful to haul around. I hunt with it from stands and blinds, and it is amazingly accurate. But, for all around carry in the field, the standard Redhawk is my pick. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom