New Smokeless ML Field Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could contact Henry Ball if you really want sticker shock on a Smokeless Mz.

He is credited with the innovation. Savage ran with it, but Henry went out on his own design.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd think there would be too much receiver removed already from the existing NEF breech plug to handle the smokeless pressures. 4570 receiver is pretty thick, then reamed out to accept the Savage plug.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Vent liner is the replaceable "allen head" looking threaded insert that goes into the end of Savage plug. It takes the brunt of the powder explosion and wears out as time goes on. Screw out the bad one and screw in a new one. I've shot several pounds of smokeless out of mine and I'm on my third vent liner. I use the hardened aftermarket ones though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Vent liner is the replaceable "allen head" looking threaded insert that goes into the end of Savage plug. It takes the brunt of the powder explosion and wears out as time goes on. Screw out the bad one and screw in a new one. I've shot several pounds of smokeless out of mine and I'm on my third vent liner. I use the hardened aftermarket ones though.

The ones that Randy Wakefield markets?

That's where I got mine.

Bought a dozen. I'll be long in my grave before wearing out that many, but I believe when the opportunity is there, take advantage of it. :D

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
The ones that Randy Wakefield markets?

That's where I got mine.

Bought a dozen. I'll be long in my grave before wearing out that many, but I believe when the opportunity is there, take advantage of it. :D

Where do you get your vent liners okie

I'll have to look in the morning, but I believe that's where I got them. Same here Dennis, bought them after I wore my first one out, seen the harden ones advertised and jumped on them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom