New Smokeless ML Field Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shot deer with a muzzleloader that dropped in their tracks then shot some that ran off with out dropping any blood and help track others with no blood trail so I really don't trust sabot bullets a 100%. That why this smokeless muzzleloader is interesting with the higher velocities but I would probably choose the 250 gr.

Not leaving a blood trail has nothing to do with the bullet or sabot combo.

Shoot high, the blood pools into the cavity.

Shoot the heart, there is no capacity to pump blood anymore.

Death is cause by lack of blood to the brain.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Shoot high, the blood pools into the cavity.

Shoot the heart, there is no capacity to pump blood anymore.

Death is cause by lack of blood to the brain.

Ive had to try and explain this to people before. Even with a bow...
Shoot a deer in the heart. Makes it hard to pump blood out the hole when the pump don't work no more!

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yes and no. If you bullet doesn't stay together and does not pass thru you typically don't get much of a blood trail no matter where you hit it. I have had this problem with lightweight bullets or poorly constructed bullets shot out of my muzzleloader. I have had terrible experiences with powerbelts coming apart like a dead grasshopper when shot at higher velocities resulting in very poor blood trails. I like getting pass thrus. Exits holes are bigger and tend to leave a lot more blood.

But I do understand what you are saying about shot placement also.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wanted to add to the conversation.

I shoot 300 grain Hornady .452 cal out of my 50 caliber savage and 200 grain 40 cal Hornady SST's out of my .45 conversion. I prefer the larger bullet in the Savage because I believe those larger pistol bullets hold together much better than the smaller ones and I am all about penetration, expansion, AND pass thru. I tried shooting 200 grain Barnes out of my 45 conversion because they penetrate so much better and they just wouldn't group worth a crap at 100 yds, so I stuck with the Hornady's. I would much rather be accurate and give up a little on bullet performance.

Also it is my understanding that the Barnes bullets, in general, shoot much better out of smokeless guns if you take the time to knurl them. Which is simply rolling them on a rough file and slighty marring the surface so that it fits ever so slightly tighter into the sabot. I have never tried this, but the guys on Dougs forum have and say it works great.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Barnes 285 grain boat tail hollow point shoot like a dream out of my Savage. They are an all copper bullet. I also just bought some .300 grain Barnes Soft Point Spitzers that are .458. They are made for .45-70. I also ordered the sabots, I need for those bullets.
I shoot 68 grains H4198 pushing a 285 grain Barnes Spitfire Boat tail hollow point bullet seated in an mmp h12 sabot.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
IIRC wasn't Slufoot a big Savage guy, experimented with A LOT of loads??? Seems like some of my most accurate loads came from him.

batchman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did 2 of them one in the 24 inch and one in the 22 inch and they both seem to equally accurate and I only had about 50 FPS for the 2 inch loss in barrel length.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my first kill this saturday with my new .45 cal Slufoot conversion.

www.hunt101.com_data_500_doe19.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom