New to canning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKWalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife and I got a new pressure canner a while back, and have been canning a few things lately. Attached is a picture with some soups that we hot packed and then put in the canner for 90 minutes at 15 psi.

The lids are on tight and sucked down, and and there are no bubbles in he jar. There is something on top of the food but I can't tell if it's some kind of scum or just congealed fat/grease from the stew. Can someone more experienced give me an opinion.

I guess I could always open one of them and smell/taste. I don't want to die.

ForumRunner_20130409_220655.jpg

OKWalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, there is meat in the stews.

I used 15 psi because that is what my canning book said to use for beef stew over 1000 ft elevation.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is congealed fat, grease. Wife cans a lot of meat (beef, pork, chicken, fish, venison, rabbit). It looks REALLY nasty in the jar, but it is AWESOME on the plate. Great thing about the pressure cooker, meat is moist and tender. To make a healthier meal, when opening the jar, scrape off the excess fat. 1 tsp of fat = 100 cal (approx).

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife is on a canning page on FB. Not a big fan of FB, but this group has lots of experience and is very helpful, sharing recipes, tips, warnings, and other info.

Any interested can message and she will add you.

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to try canning this year, my grandma is going to come help me out, she used to can EVERYTHING! I hope I have something to can, I'm way behind on the garden...

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something for you folks to try if you like this kind of thing. Can fresh sliced Jalapenos, sliced carrots and chopped onions together. Add 1/4 cup honey to every cup of vinegar. I have not done it in about 20 years so I do not remember the exact recipe but it was a great relish for most Mexican dishes and was even great chopped fine and used as a stuffing in burgers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom