New to shooting/new XDm 9mil owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jav8r

Marksman
Reaction score
Just purchased my first handgun(XDm 9mm) and want to know what type practice ammo do you use?
I started out with a 115gr 250 rd box of Remmington UMC($65). Bought a 20rd box of 115gr Gold Dot($27) to keep at home.

I want to take it to the range on I-40 and see how it works. I have only shot at the NRA FIRST Step class. I have dry practiced with the new handgun, even field stripped it and back together and practiced loading and unloading the clips but haven't inserted them into to gun so far.
I think it wouldn't be any problem for me when I get to the range to load and shoot, but should I let someone there show me the ropes the first time?
Plus even though they showed us I need to buy cleanning equipment and see how to clean it, do they do that there as well?

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought the very same gun about 6 months ago. Nice choice. I love mine and the 19 round mags.

Wal-mart usually has Winchester White Box (WWB) 100 rounds really cheap, so does academy. This is really good cheap full metal jacket ammo for the range.

For self defense, you only need to buy one or two 20 Round boxes of the good stuff. Hopefully you'll never need them.

My XDM will eat any ammo I've tried, and for self defense has no problem with +p ammo (hot!).

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most good ranges will show you the ropes if you've never been there before. All about safety.

For cleaning just get on youtube and search on springfield xd or xdm cleaning and there should be a video.

jav8r

Marksman
Reaction score
Great thanks, I can't wait to shoot it. Got the Remington at Academy, I'll check wally world as well. Bought the Gold dot at the range, I want to shoot some just to see how they work and get a little confidence. Hope that's the only way I will ever use them.
Yes I have a client who is a NRA instructor who has offered take me a few times.
Soon a ccw course after some more practice. Thanks

Jcb0501

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
cool man. yeah the xd's rock.

i usually shoot the cheapest ammo i can find for range and messing around. then just like you did get some sweet home defense stuff.

deff spend as much time as you can at the range gettin as comfortable and confident with it as possible.

z06man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just about any commercial load should be fine for you to practice with. As others have said, Wal-Mart is a great place to look and you really can't beat their prices. If you plan to use that gun for self defense, you should make sure your defensive load is reliable in your gun and put at least a box or two through it. I know it's not cheap, but it's better to find out at the range than when your life is on the line.

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What they all said about ammo. If your plinking shoot the cheapest stuff you can find. But spend good money on defnesive stuff, and I recommend a +P load.

If your interested look into some classes. Dont let the money scare you, its worth every penny and then some. I recommend TDSA. Marshall and the guys will have you running that XD like a pro in no time. I cannot recommend this enough to a new shooter. Spending money on training was the best money Ive ever spent shooting related.

http://tdsatulsa.com/index.php

Latest posts

Top Bottom