New York City

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am taking a trip to New York City and Maryland this week (driving). Does the "great equalizer" need to stay at home?

I lived in Maryland before OK, and traveled to NY and MA regularly as part of the job.

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND???

Don't even think about carrying a gun in the car, much less loaded and on you. MD, NJ, and NY take the most restrictive view of the Safe Passage Act, and NY City does not even recognize it, nor do they honor a NY State pistol license.

In these states, it is illegal to just possess and drive around with a gun in the car, and if you deviate from the most direct line through the state or stop to play tourist or visit, you have NO protection from the state and local laws.
And yes, they profile cars with gun stickers and/or western plates.

By the way, we are talking about felony jail time for possession, not the OK piddly fine for illegal carry.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend that just turned 21 and has carried a gun concealed as long as I've known him. He has never had a CCL. He has finally taken his class and sent off for his License. He was driving to Stillwater with his sub-compact XD in his back and was pulled over by an LEO. I don't remember why but I think he's one of those guys that get out of the car everytime he's stopped but he ended up in the cop's car sitting while the LEO did his work. He had a gun, concealed, in the cop car, with no license, barely 21 and the LEO had no clue...

I am holding to the theory, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"
I will spend the rest of my life in jail so that my wife and children are safe. I love them more than I love NYC Laws.

smokeyokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok I have been reading this thread and I am on a flight tomorrow morning to NYC. Have not been there in 18 yrs so I am curious to hear from the guys that used to live there or been there recently.

I am leaving the heavy hardware at home but am curious about laws on blades specifically fixed blades and assisted opening like the SOG Aegis.

Thanks

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as I know in NYC the only kind of knife you can have is a simple non locking folding knife with a blade less than 4". Thats what I grab when there. I was just there in March and will be going back there next month. I buy one,carry it,time to go home I leave it at my sis's house for next time.

Look here for advice: http://knife-expert.com/ny.txt

MiKelly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well thanks for the feedback. I did leave the equalizer at home for the trip. I bought some pepper spray and have my knife. I must say that I will continue to carry my pepper spray when I get back to OKC even with my gun. It is nice to be able to have it in your hand, in plain view if needed, as your walking through doors or around corners. Of course, I will need to buy a different one when I get to NYC because the law there says you can't bring it into the city, you must buy it there and sign some silly form.

I appreciate you guys telling me to stay away from there. I don't blame you.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to wanna go to NYC just to say I been there. :blahblah:

As I've gotten older and perhaps a little bit wiser, I have no desire to go. :disappoin

But...if I was gonna go, you bet your ass I'd be packin'! :thumb:

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6! Them sonsofbitches are nuts! :screwy:

Damn yankees. :grumble:

You are a sworn LEO. OP is not, or at least did not say so. Different rules apply to you.

They are the rules that ought to apply to us all, but do not.

jej

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You are a sworn LEO. OP is not, or at least did not say so. Different rules apply to you.

They are the rules that ought to apply to us all, but do not.

jej

Sorry, unless you are an LEO going to NYC on official business, you will be treated just like a civilian. They are not fond of out of state cops.

Latest posts

Top Bottom