Newb reloader question about some 270 loads.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just joined and posted this reloader's nest earlier, so I figured I'd post it here too:

I've recently gotten into handloading over cost+performance issues. I like the concept of making my own ammunition that I have control over at a cheaper price. A buddy and I have a press, a powder thrower, and dies. He is loading 308 and I'm loading 270win. Due to the current shortage, I still don't have powder or primers (though I do have bullets and brass).

I'd like to develop two loads: a varmint load for coyotes, etc. And a heavier, long range load for target and deer. I want to push my rifle's limitations as far as possible with accuracy and range. I'm a college kid with limited resources, so I'm stuck with the rifle I have for a while. Any suggestion or inputs or critiques on my thoughts below are welcome:

The Rifle:
Rem700 ADL in 270win with a 22" hunter-profile barrel

The Shooter:
Newish (4 years) to shooting. Background in science/engineering.

Load #1 (varmint/coyote): I am thinking 110gr V-Max by Hornady using either Varget or Ramshot's Hunter powders. Lee's book gives velocities of 3248 and 3323 respectively for the max loads. My question is out of a 22" barrel will I get a quick burn with these powders? If not, are there any powder suggestions?

I'm going with the V-max for varmint destruction...:50cal:

Load #2 (long range/deer): Definitely want to use Hornady's Interlock 140gr SST BT bullet (BC=0.495) for this. They're relatively cheap and have an excellent energy retention over range when plugged into Vortex's ballistic calculator. (I'm already an armchair ballistician, I know) Thinking about using Varget and Ramshot for this too, even though they are on the low end of the spectrum. Or H1000. From Lee's, max loads give the following velocities: Ramshot=2943, Varget=2772, H1000=2979. Ramshot is probably the most efficient powder there. Once, again, are there any powder suggestions specifically for shorter barrels in order to minimize velocity loss.

Any thoughts or critiques are welcome. Not new to being flogged on internet forums, so don't hold back!

Just a note, I plan on using CCI primers and 80% Prvi brass with some Federal thrown in. Using a Lee Classic reloader and Lee dies.

After some more research it seems Varget is the fastest burning powder of the ones I've considered above. It is also the most economical and common apparently, in addition to being temperature insensitive. What kind of velocity reduction would I expect from a 22" barrel?

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't done enough work with either of those powders in 270 to offer an opinion. With any load development, a chronograph is indespensible for tracking what is happening with the load changes.
Here are some links to information that you may find useful, or you may already have this info..

Here is a powder burn rate chart that you may find helpful.
http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html
and another one.. http://stevespages.com/powderrates.html

some info on barrel length vs velocity
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...82ml49PyiIPNYAiqg&sig2=8oThPkZfkCt_20KjdryJVw

http://counterstrikefox.freeservers.com/mv.htm

I have a 270 in my stable that I load for and shoot, it is not one of my main go to calibers, but it does get used. I probably load and shoot more 223 and 243
than any other rifle caliber, and they are the varmint choices I normally go for. I do shoot 204 ruger, and it is like a laser but limiting myself to 34 grain bullets
as max weight limits what I can use it for. That is the heaviest bullet my rifle will shoot well.
I have found that the maximum load is very seldom my accuracy load. One of my front burner projects right now is a 300 win mag long range target rifle I am building.
The chronograph is going to be critical to my load development there.
Keep us posted on your results.. Blitzfike

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You going to sight in the rifle every time you change from the varmit load to the deer load? There going to shoot to different points because of
volicity/trajectory differences for the two bullet weights. Your going to need good accuracy for both the yote and deer loads, that
140 SST kills both animals very well so I would use it on both. (one sight setting)
Your powder selections are good but don't overlook the old timers like H or IMR4895, IMR4064, 4831 and 4350.

As Blitzfike says the fastest load is not always the most accurate. Get a good chrono and test, test, test.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cannot comment on your powder selection....no experience.

Your bullet choices are good though. You may find that the 110 accuracy is fine for coyotes and cats but little stuff at long range may be iffy. It was not great in my rifle but each is different.

I would standardize on one brand of brass. Differences, even though small, can have an adverse effect particularly at the upper end of the scale.

Neck size your brass and it will minimize stretching and last longer.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cannot comment on your powder selection....no experience.

Your bullet choices are good though. You may find that the 110 accuracy is fine for coyotes and cats but little stuff at long range may be iffy. It was not great in my rifle but each is different.

I would standardize on one brand of brass. Differences, even though small, can have an adverse effect particularly at the upper end of the scale.

Neck size your brass and it will minimize stretching and last longer.

As opposed to full resizing right? I've also read varying accounts of accuracy with 110s in 270s. I figure I'll try them out, and if they don't work out, someone who reloads 6.8 will want them.

You going to sight in the rifle every time you change from the varmit load to the deer load? There going to shoot to different points because of
volicity/trajectory differences for the two bullet weights. Your going to need good accuracy for both the yote and deer loads, that
140 SST kills both animals very well so I would use it on both. (one sight setting)
Your powder selections are good but don't overlook the old timers like H or IMR4895, IMR4064, 4831 and 4350.

As Blitzfike says the fastest load is not always the most accurate. Get a good chrono and test, test, test.

The 140 isn't a varmit bullet though, as I understand. It penetrates instead of fragmenting. Guess it wouldn't matter unless I'm wanting pelts. What chrono would y'all recommend? Max dollar would be about $130.

Someone also PM'd me and suggested IMR 4350...it looks good for most weights.

I haven't done enough work with either of those powders in 270 to offer an opinion. With any load development, a chronograph is indespensible for tracking what is happening with the load changes.
Here are some links to information that you may find useful, or you may already have this info..

Here is a powder burn rate chart that you may find helpful.
http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html
and another one.. http://stevespages.com/powderrates.html

some info on barrel length vs velocity
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...82ml49PyiIPNYAiqg&sig2=8oThPkZfkCt_20KjdryJVw

http://counterstrikefox.freeservers.com/mv.htm

I have a 270 in my stable that I load for and shoot, it is not one of my main go to calibers, but it does get used. I probably load and shoot more 223 and 243
than any other rifle caliber, and they are the varmint choices I normally go for. I do shoot 204 ruger, and it is like a laser but limiting myself to 34 grain bullets
as max weight limits what I can use it for. That is the heaviest bullet my rifle will shoot well.
I have found that the maximum load is very seldom my accuracy load. One of my front burner projects right now is a 300 win mag long range target rifle I am building.
The chronograph is going to be critical to my load development there.
Keep us posted on your results.. Blitzfike

Those were some awesome links! Thanks! I wouldn't have thought velocity v. barrel length would have been linear. Not much in thermodynamics is actually linear...So I'm looking at 50-100 fps less than from a table. Once again, a chrono would be nice.

That was one lucky student that got to do his paper on a firearms/ballistics topic. Making me wish I had gone MechE instead of CivE.
I'm seriously looking into IMR 4350 now. Just now I have to find it!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you say "powder thrower," I am guessing you are referring to some Lee device for dropping a specific volume of powder. If you do not have a scale, and I recommend a simple balance scale, you really need to add one.

I like most Lee products, but have never been a big fan of their powder measuring approach. Others do fine with it, I'm pretty AR and like to weigh every charge for center fire rifles. If you do choose to meter your powder, you still need to confirm that the device is dropping what it's supposed to. When I use my old Pacific powder measure, I check every tenth drop to make sure it's still on.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you say "powder thrower," I am guessing you are referring to some Lee device for dropping a specific volume of powder. If you do not have a scale, and I recommend a simple balance scale, you really need to add one.

I like most Lee products, but have never been a big fan of their powder measuring approach. Others do fine with it, I'm pretty AR and like to weigh every charge for center fire rifles. If you do choose to meter your powder, you still need to confirm that the device is dropping what it's supposed to. When I use my old Pacific powder measure, I check every tenth drop to make sure it's still on.

Yep...using a Lee powder measure. Also using a balance scale. Have already used the scale to confirm the measure's consistency (it is +/- 0.2 grains) also plan on doing QC on every 5-10 rounds when loading up.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
www.orchardphoto.com_h29zo107.jpg

This is my load. The target was shot at 200 yards. Barrel length is 24 inches.

1. A 22 inch barrel might lose you 50 fps; I doubt more and maybe less.

2. Unlike newly trained reloaders, I not only do not consider a chronograph indispensable in load workup, I don't use one for that purpose. It is a commonly perpetrated fallacy that one can tell what the pressure is from bullet velocity.

3. I don't understand the commonly assumed need for separate loads for varmints and larger stuff. I pick the most accurate load with a bullet acceptable for bigger stuff and, believe it or not, it will kill varmints as well. I found Remington Core-Lokt bullets to give excellent accuracy in my 270 Winchester but a different gun might shoot better with a different bullet. Remington Core-Lokt bullets are very under appreciated in my opinion. They really kill stuff well and, if they shoot well in your gun, I doubt you'll find anything cheaper.

4. Many assume that you take any powder suggested for a given cartridge and with load adjustment it will shoot as well as another. This is only true if you happen to be lucky. I found IMR 8208 XBR to give excellent accuracy and to meter very precisely out of my powder measure; in fact I've never found a powder to meter better. I've tried it in several cartridges besides the 270 Winchester and it only gave ho hum performance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom