Newbie Needs Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueheeler

New to the site!
Reaction score
I just joined and need advice:

1) I bought a 38-special in Texas around 1977-1978. It's never been registered. Do I need to register it in Tulsa, OK, my current residence, after all these years?

2) The gun has only been fired once, as a test. It's got a little rust, and I'm concerned that it needs a good cleaning/oiling. (I've never maintained it --- just ignored it all these years.) Who in Tulsa do you recommend for refurbishing?

3) I also want to learn how properly to use this gun. Who in Tulsa offers good training?

4) Which shooting range in Tulsa do you recommend? I want to become proficient and responsible.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

TKNO1015s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd start out by making sure the gun is safe to use. If you're not comfortable making the determination as it sounds, take it over to OPS. The guys there are easy to work with and can go through the gun. I understand also that they are also about to open a new indoor range. Have fun and stay safe.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several good gunsmiths work in the Tulsa area.. and hang out here.

I have not seen your gun so take this as an opinion... but I have seen a few old police revolvers that we had to drift cartridges out of to unload. They had been carried by police officers for years... never fired and never cleaned.. and they still worked. Smith and Wessons are pretty hard to kill... and a little rust can usually be fixed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom