NFA OR NON-NFA? Crazy ideas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you even think up some crazy idea when you're bored and wonder "what if...", "is that legal?". I have always been curious as to what the legal status of some weird configurations are. I've provided some i was curious about. I'd be interested in hearing about more!

"Masterkey"
They are an AR with a short shotgun mounted underneath. I know the shotgun would be a "short barrel shotgun" and require the tax stamp. What else is there about htis combination that would need to be addressed legally?

"Gatling Rifle"
A shoulder fired hand crank .22 gatling gun? Shoulder, aim, crank. Is there anything illegal about this?

"Gatling Shotgun"
Hand crank "lead sandblaster". Launch as many clay targets as possible and make it rain lead. Legal?

"Lawn Dart Mortar"
Basically a tube with a bipod, a pointy inert dart thing, and a blank cartridge. Mount on the ground and launch them in a field and try to hit a spray painted bullseye or something. Its basically like a black powder mortar except using smokeless powder cartridge, finned projectile, and drop-in firing. Legal?

Let see some more ideas!

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got another one

"Pull-Fired Gatling Gun"
.22 cal shouldered gatling like before except with a forgrip instead of a crank. To fire you aim then pull backward on the forgrip which slides to the rear turning a screw that is geared to turn the barrels and fire. The forgrip rearward stroke should be long enough to finish a magazine.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While none of your ideas sound illegal to me (except for maybe the dart mortar which may be a DD due to bore size even though you are not firing lethal rounds), any legal advice you receive on here is worth what you paid for it (nothing).

If you seriously want to do any of these things, submit your designs in writing to ATF Tech Branch for a ruling. If you receive a letter saying that they do not fall under jurisdiction of the NFA, you are good to go. Even if they latter decide that they do fall under the NFA, your tech branch ruling would be a defense to prosecution. A bunch of guys opinions on an internet forum as to the legality of these items would carry no such defense.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While none of your ideas sound illegal to me (except for maybe the dart mortar which may be a DD due to bore size even though you are not firing lethal rounds), any legal advice you receive on here is worth what you paid for it (nothing).

If you seriously want to do any of these things, submit your designs in writing to ATF Tech Branch for a ruling. If you receive a letter saying that they do not fall under jurisdiction of the NFA, you are good to go. Even if they latter decide that they do fall under the NFA, your tech branch ruling would be a defense to prosecution. A bunch of guys opinions on an internet forum as to the legality of these items would carry no such defense.

I would definitely write the ATF should i ever want to do something like this. I highly doubt it though. I'm kinda going for a fun "what-if" thread filled with the crazy ideas you hear just being around the gun community. Maybe i've posted in the wrong section.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hand crank gatling rifle. You talking multiple barrels or one barrel and a crank?
The crank is called a BMF activator and I think they still sell them.
Over the years I've seen gatling kits for 10/22s and AKs theres no problem with them as long as each trigger is pulled once for each shot and you do it by hand.
Many years ago some guys hooked an electric motor to one and the BATF rule that it fired more than one shot with the push of the button and therefore was a machinegun.
Thats where Sons of Guns got their idea for the one they made a few episodes ago.

I always wanted to take a couple recoil operated shotguns (browning a5, rem 11) mount them side by side and make a replica bofors. but I never found anybody making a left hand one so they could be attached together.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking a custom mechanism with multiple barrels and one crank. The ruger with the crank does the same thing i guess but not as cool as mutiple barrels! You could connect your shotguns top to top using modified scope mount bases maybe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom