Nostalgia - Or, the I'm this old, thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have spent almost 30 minutes on search engines trying to find a picture of a ceiling mounted, belt driven, money transport tube system like JC Penny had in Kingfisher. When I was a kid I was fascinated with that device. Mom would give the clerk the money and the clerk would put the bills inside a tube, hook it on the belt, and pull a wooden handled fob that would release the tube. Whoosh! the tube took off across the store and in a few minutes the tube would come whooshing back, crashing into the stopping mechanism where we were standing. The clerk would unhook and give mom her change and receipt. Looking back, this had to be pre cash register era and the belt was always running to all parts of the store. You could hear it like a slow sewing machine belt and clicking and clacking when the belt splice hit something. I was mesmerized.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
????? GEEZE , this thread started pretty good....can't figure out how I got it STOPPED ???......Oh Well , Che Sara.....
Here's 1 that should bring a smile & perhaps resurect this thread.....Enjoy.....

I don't remember ever seeing that before, but it shore did make my allergies kick up.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have spent almost 30 minutes on search engines trying to find a picture of a ceiling mounted, belt driven, money transport tube system like JC Penny had in Kingfisher. When I was a kid I was fascinated with that device. Mom would give the clerk the money and the clerk would put the bills inside a tube, hook it on the belt, and pull a wooden handled fob that would release the tube. Whoosh! the tube took off across the store and in a few minutes the tube would come whooshing back, crashing into the stopping mechanism where we were standing. The clerk would unhook and give mom her change and receipt. Looking back, this had to be pre cash register era and the belt was always running to all parts of the store. You could hear it like a slow sewing machine belt and clicking and clacking when the belt splice hit something. I was mesmerized.

I don't remember belt operated systems, but I do remember the air operated ones. What I wouldn't be able to figure out was that if there was more than one cashier's station on the sales floor, how would they know which "transport device" to accept back with the change?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't remember belt operated systems, but I do remember the air operated ones. What I wouldn't be able to figure out was that if there was more than one cashier's station on the sales floor, how would they know which "transport device" to accept back with the change?
They had to be addressed somehow that was a physical lever change slotting system. Either that or the trolleys were coded, or matched and bypassed the wrong stations.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have worked on pneumatic systems in banks. Upstairs above them in the sun of the summer is NOT FUN. That was in 2017. The timing of the motors, doors, flaps even down to the stuck on velcro on the transports affects the system.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your pictures reminds me of when I would go to the drive in with my parents the white people entered on one side and black people drove in the other side. There was a fence right down the middle with the concession stand in the middle. What I always thought was funny was the now long gone drive in was named "the Plantation." I have a bunch of memories of good times of that drive in, in Suffolk, Va. Drank my first beer there and about went to jail over a young lady not fully dressed with me. Steamed up widows in the winter really give you away. Those really were the good old days.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watch the old William Powell and Irene Dunne classic, Life With Father. When they go to the department store, the clerks use a contraption like that to send money and receipts back and forth.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your pictures reminds me of when I would go to the drive in with my parents the white people entered on one side and black people drove in the other side. There was a fence right down the middle with the concession stand in the middle. What I always thought was funny was the now long gone drive in was named "the Plantation." I have a bunch of memories of good times of that drive in, in Suffolk, Va. Drank my first beer there and about went to jail over a young lady not fully dressed with me. Steamed up widows in the winter really give you away. Those really were the good old days.
Yup, lots of good memories that included drive in theaters and fogged up windows. Like you said those were the good ole' days and I sure do miss em'

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Snattlerake , this the the scene (jump to 1:31 if the embed doesn't start there).

Yes, exactly. From what I see here is the lines are run to the individual stations and arrive at a central station that is addressed with positionings of each station.

That is an awful young Pete Malloy in that movie. LOL!

Latest posts

Top Bottom