Nostalgia - Or, the I'm this old, thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmc tom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was in school, they taught us how to balance a checkbook and how to brush our teeth! And bicycles had a horn that you could "beep" with your knee-but they were heavy pieces of machinery! Mud flaps, luggage rack, New Departure brakes, streamers out the handlebar grips and wide whitewall tires. Cars could be bought as some have said for $50.00 running. I bought a 1948 Mercury convertible for $25.00, a 1939 chevy coupe with twin smittys for $50.00, roll and tuck interior.
1969, bought a 55 Ford, 4 door, 312cid, crossover exhaust, automatic trans.. all for $50. New tires for it, $60.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They taste like chicken.
Chickens are dinosaurs. Had this white leghorn rooster we called Drumstick. Had to use a 2x4 to be able to collect eggs in his henhouse. Every day. Yes, I knew I needed a bigger club, just didn't have the material to make one. That sucker had spurs as long as my thumb, and nearly as big...

Tasted good stewed, the day I finally won permission to terminate him.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chickens are dinosaurs. Had this white leghorn rooster we called Drumstick. Had to use a 2x4 to be able to collect eggs in his henhouse. Every day. Yes, I knew I needed a bigger club, just didn't have the material to make one. That sucker had spurs as long as my thumb, and nearly as big...

Tasted good stewed, the day I finally won permission to terminate him.
Grandma always caught the rooster that spurred her with a chickenhook. Then she took tin snips to his feathers so he couldn't fly and threw the offender up onto the metal roofed chickenhouse for an all day stay during the summer.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My father had a push button transmission in his Plymouth/Chrysler and I ate boxes of Scooter Pies in the giant overstuffed back seat.

We had no money and no problems, what I would do to get back to that life I was so embarrassed about.

Live and learn, live and learn, I’m almost ready to downsize completely and sell my land at Texoma to enable our move to Tahlequah and become citizens in my families stomping grounds around Cherokee County.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which was your favorite toy gun or set of guns when you were a kid?

Since I had limited funds and didn't purchase the guns I got myself, I had to rely on my parents to follow through with my request or just be happy I got what I got.

My cowboy era consisted of whatever dime store cap gun and cardboard holster was nearest the cash register. I never had any cool sets like Lone Ranger or Roy Rogers or Paladin or Josh Randall's Maresleg.

WWII guns, I had a green plastic helmet that never fit me and a green plastic greasegun with a pull back locking bolt and a red plastic thingie that vibrated in the front. That was my second favorite.
View attachment 294834

One of my friends had a Johnny Seven OMA.

View attachment 294832

Another had a frikkin aircraft carrier that shot planes and missles but he couldn't take it outside.
Had a "system 7" that was similar to that.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a "system 7" that was similar to that.
When I was 4 or 5, I had a pirate's cutlass with a pistol in grip of the cutlass. My Uncle Jack took me for a ride in his MG (MGB?) convertible with the top down, and me standing with one foot on each seat, left hand on the top of the windshield, waving that cutlass/pistol as he drove down the road at a zillion miles an hour. With both of us laughing like hyenas! Good times!

Never happened again, so I suspect he got what for out of my mom over it. At the time, he was my favorite uncle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom