Not a Dumb question, but certainly one out of ignorance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$200 tax stamp and a long wait for your background check.

Also, the incredibly increased cost of said registered firearm due to limited supply.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As Drjj indicated, there is no "license", but there is a process. To start with the only full auto weapons civilians can own must have been manufactured before the machine gun ban in 1986. So there is a limited supply, and high demand. Last time I looked it would cost about $15K or more to get into an M16. There are cheaper options but I think the low end is around $4K. That does not include the cost of the ammo to feed it....

Once you have located the weapon then you start the process, apply to the ATF for a tax stamp, and wait, current wait times are about 180 days or so.

Carefully consider what you buy, realize that selling it is the same process as buying and will take 180 days or so.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You guys obviously haven't been listening to our politicians and MSM - fully automatic firearms are readily available to everyone, everywhere!

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys obviously haven't been listening to our politicians and MSM - fully automatic firearms are readily available to everyone, everywhere!

Yep, just go to the next gun show and look for the guys set up at the " loop hole" table. Easy to spot, usually have a big banner on a couple PVC pipe that says bazookas for sale.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may also have to form a corporation or a trust to be the registered owner; some county sheriffs (and I think Tulsa County is one of them) refuse to sign the required paperwork.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could always go the FFL route too. It would take several years of FFL fees to equal one registered MG. Down side is you have to start a business and actually buy/sell firearms, up side is you can make a MG out of whatever you want if you have the cash.

bryanherron

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, just go to the next gun show and look for the guys set up at the " loop hole" table. Easy to spot, usually have a big banner on a couple PVC pipe that says bazookas for sale.

Too Funny.

And now for the actual "Stupid question" What about purchasing a pre-ban semi and converting it? I assume a no-no, but could anyone say, without a doubt, that the conversion was pre or post ban?

I can see it now; "Yes officer this is a pre-ban Kriss Super V"..... :P

Latest posts

Top Bottom