Not a Dumb question, but certainly one out of ignorance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too Funny.

And now for the actual "Stupid question" What about purchasing a pre-ban semi and converting it? I assume a no-no, but could anyone say, without a doubt, that the conversion was pre or post ban?

I can see it now; "Yes officer this is a pre-ban Kriss Super V"..... :P

For an AR-15, you can buy an RDIAS (registered drop-in auto sear) or RLL (Registered Lightning Link) and convert it to full auto. The sear or link is the serialized and NFA registered part. It has to have been registered prior to May 19, 1986 to be legal. An RDIAS will run $13-15K and a RLL will run you about $8-9K. The cheapest legal FA is an M-11, which will run you $3,500-4,000. All this plus the $200 tax stamp.

For full price guides on registered transferrables, check here: http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/price_guides.html

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For an AR-15, you can buy an RDIAS (registered drop-in auto sear) or RLL (Registered Lightning Link) and convert it to full auto. The sear or link is the serialized and NFA registered part. It has to have been registered prior to May 19, 1986 to be legal. An RDIAS will run $13-15K and a RLL will run you about $8-9K. The cheapest legal FA is an M-11, which will run you $3,500-4,000. All this plus the $200 tax stamp.

For full price guides on registered transferrables, check here: http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/price_guides.html

RDIAS's are running closer to $18,000 nowadays. Crazy ain't it?

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could always go the FFL route too. It would take several years of FFL fees to equal one registered MG. Down side is you have to start a business and actually buy/sell firearms, up side is you can make a MG out of whatever you want if you have the cash.

Not quite.

Not just any FFL "...can make a MG out of whatever you want if you have the cash."

Dave

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not quite.

Not just any FFL "...can make a MG out of whatever you want if you have the cash."

Dave

I know that you have to get the right type, 07 or 02 or whatever. I guess I have to be more specific everytime I post anything on here. Heaven forbid if someone did their own research into a subject.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Registered NFA full auto is one of the best investments a person can make, better than gold, land and stocks. Because of supply and demand there are only so many transferable NFA weapons the civilian population can own.

The more people that discover this and invest, the more the prices are driven higher. The only way those prices will ever come down is if the NFA is repealed, and chances of that are slim to nothing.

A very good way of seeing this is just by looking at the chart CAR-AR-M16 posted, and looking at the machine gun guide, or better than that just follow the prices on http://www.sturmgewehr.com that is where most people that buy and sell NFA weapons go.

Yes, I know it is becoming a rich mans investment, but all things are relative. I remember many, many years ago purchasing several Registered Drop In Auto Sears (RDIAS) and later selling some of those RDIAS to purchase other NFA items. At the time they were only $350. each, look at how much they are worth today, but at that time $350. was a lot of money.

Another very good example, is the MAC 10 powder springs .45, it was first sold for $150. and you had a choice, purchase it in semi auto, or purchase it in full Auto which would cost $200. more for the NFA tax stamp, the price for the weapon was the same. Now they sell for around $5000. or higher.

Yes if you are in business and have a 07 FFL SOT, you can manufacture machine guns and several other other things too. They go on a form 1, but if you sell to another SOT that SOT will need a law demo letter before ATF will sign off on that purchase, there is no $200 tax stamp when selling between 07 FFL SOT's. That weapon can also be sold to LE departments or DoD still no tax stamp. Being a 07 FFL SOT is not an inexpensive thing, it will cost you money, and you have to show that you are in business to sell weapons not to just build your collection. If you like to invent and enjoy the challenge of converting semi auto to full auto, which I do, this might be the way to go for you. If you ever let the SOT part of the license go, you either have to sell or give away to the correct legal places or cut up or surrender those Full Auto weapons to ATF. That is why during this part of the year you will find many Post samples being sold, these are people giving up the SOT part of their license.

I hope this helps,

Mark

Latest posts

Top Bottom