Now I need suggestions for creating a lawn where my trees were.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
In all seriousness, find a foot operated tulip bulb planter. It pulls a cone shaped plug from the ground about 5" deep so a bulb can be dropped in and the dirt put back into the hole.
Put the dirt in a bucket you remove from the bare spot, go to a part of your yard where bermuda is growing nicely, and start removing plugs to be transplanted into the holes in the bare spot.
Fill in the holes in the existing bermuda lawn with the dirt from the bucket.
The advantage of plugging is that the roots are healthy, and 5" deep. Less watering, and a healthy plug is less likely to be effected by traffic on the yard or erosion. As it sends out runners, dig a small trench 1" deep with a hand trowell to bury the runner in. It will take root and send out its own runners. Keep a nitrogen fertilizer on it as that promotes runners and top growth.

https://www.amazon.com/Yard-Butler-...ords=Tulip+Bulb+Planter&qid=1611727408&sr=8-2

I've got these.

Right now I'm waiting for the ground to dry out from the rain. Then I have to wait for the grinder to get the rest of the stump he missed. Then I can clean the shavings again. Then I can sprig Bermuda to my heart's content.
lesch shark shovel.jpg

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks to Dalton Stout with Stout Tree Service my trees are gone.

Two big trees one a hundred year oak that had decades of acorns dropped and no grass. The dust was so bad when I mowed the neighbors couldn't tell if I was mowing or farming.

The trees haven't been picked up yet so I have time to plan.
I have a lawn tractor and a pull behind 30 gallon sprayer with booms.

I also have the local gas company contractor going to bore in a new gas line to the house. This is going to tear up a good portion of the grass I already have as they have to start boring about 7 ft down. I have to wait on this to be done too.

I know the stump grind shavings have to be removed but you cannot get them all and it will require a heavy nitrogen fertilizer to counteract the decomposition.

I want a fine blade Bermuda grass that goes dormant in cold and hot weather not a Fescue or Ryegrass. No Bufalo grass because I'm severely allergic.

Anyone here have suggestions for a grass species?

Seed or sod?
Watering is no problem unless we go to rationing again.

I can also fab a tine dethatcher or small drag behind implement and i have a large tiller.
I would suggest calling Crutcho creek sod farm. They do what’s called hydro seeding which works very well. They spray seeds all over the bare spots and it contains fertilizer and other things to help it grow. It is a green color when it’s sprayed. I am gonna have it don’t once I get more trees cut down on the back of my property.

Latest posts

Top Bottom