O. S. U.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fwiw I believe it's an anti osu anti lsu reporter with an axe to grind against les miles.
You left out anti-Auburn.

Every major program has someone with an ax to grind against them, and they all have enough people who've gone through that, at some point, there will be dirt to be dug; right now just happens to be the Pokes' turn in the barrel. The articles are going to be published, the NCAA will probably come down on them for some of it, but OSU is going to clean up the mess, and it will all be over and done before too long. Don't get worked up over it--just ride it out, because there's not a singled damned thing you can do about it.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You left out anti-Auburn.

Every major program has someone with an ax to grind against them, and they all have enough people who've gone through that, at some point, there will be dirt to be dug; right now just happens to be the Pokes' turn in the barrel. The articles are going to be published, the NCAA will probably come down on them for some of it, but OSU is going to clean up the mess, and it will all be over and done before too long. Don't get worked up over it--just ride it out, because there's not a singled damned thing you can do about it.

C'mon man. You're ruining the fun! Lol.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading this article I don't want to ever hear of the Rhett Bomar crap from poke fans again. This is so much worse.

Speaking of Bomar, lets say Bomar said something disparaging about OU's program, and Jason White, Sam Bradford and Josh Hypel disputed it, and disputed with vigor, who ya gonna believe?

This is all a load of horseshit shoveled by disgruntled players that were removed from the team for behavior, drugs, etc.

This is sour grapes. There will be those that will believe every word of it, because them want to believe it. That doesn't make it true.

Three words: Consider the source. Disgruntled, disillusioned former players with an ax to grind, and a known OU fan that has written hack pieces on several programs, and publicly cheered against oSu and Ut and for OU. He's an unabashed OU fan that isn't a secret. He hates oSu and UT that isn't a secret.

I don't believe we are squeaky clean, but I don't believe any program is. You're dealing with abut 100 teenagers. If you can get thru an 8 hour day without one of them getting in trouble over something, or using drugs, or doing something they shouldn't be doing, it would probably be a miracle.

In the end, I believe the truth will win out, and I don't believe it will be anywhere near as damning as some would like it to be.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

One of the sensible posts I've read here in several days, on any number of subjects! ;)

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Speaking of Bomar, lets say Bomar said something disparaging about OU's program, and Jason White, Sam Bradford and Josh Hypel disputed it, and disputed with vigor, who ya gonna believe?

This is all a load of horseshit shoveled by disgruntled players that were removed from the team for behavior, drugs, etc.

This is sour grapes. There will be those that will believe every word of it, because them want to believe it. That doesn't make it true.

Three words: Consider the source. Disgruntled, disillusioned former players with an ax to grind, and a known OU fan that has written hack pieces on several programs, and publicly cheered against oSu and Ut and for OU. He's an unabashed OU fan that isn't a secret. He hates oSu and UT that isn't a secret.

I don't believe we are squeaky clean, but I don't believe any program is. You're dealing with abut 100 teenagers. If you can get thru an 8 hour day without one of them getting in trouble over something, or using drugs, or doing something they shouldn't be doing, it would probably be a miracle.

In the end, I believe the truth will win out, and I don't believe it will be anywhere near as damning as some would like it to be.

Fair enough. So do you believe Cam Newton was guilty of anything and did you ever disparage him or his Auburn program? I sure as **** do and did.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Truer words have rarely been spoken. It has to be like herding cats, not just the kids but the assistants and boosters and alumni and fellow student supporters. I wouldn't want any part of managing it.

I give Gundy as much credit as I do Stoops for trying their damnedest to do things right, even if I favor OU being an alum. I think (for example) Stoops didn't know about the Bomar stuff and took action as swiftly as possible when finding out. I think Gundy took similar action when he became head coach and had the power to get those players off the team (though I know of less specific examples as I don't follow the program as closely. I know Blackmon and Dez were both headaches). But there's too many people out there wanting to break the rules for any program to be 100% clean 100% of the time.

And as I have said before, I would have suspicions that Miles would turn a blind eye to many things that neither Stoops nor Gundy would allow. That's not a remark about OSU as much as it is that Miles. We'll just have to see where the dust settles to see how bad it was.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.a...expose_of/20130910_93_0_OnTues972985?subj=298

On Tuesday morning, Baltimore Ravens tight end Billy Bajema read the initial story in Sports Illustrated’s five-part look into the football program at his alma mater, Oklahoma State University.

Then he sent a text to John Talley, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes director for the north central region of Oklahoma.

In the SI story, four former players said Talley either “grossly overpaid” football players for jobs or compensated them for jobs they didn’t do.”

Talley told SI he has paid players to work on his ranch, but denied he ever paid players to “not work.”

Contacted by the Tulsa World, Talley declined comment and said he was told to refer calls to the FCA’s National Support Center.

Bajema, during a Tuesday telephone interview with the Tulsa World, indicated that he’s no fan of an SI story which, among other things, alleged that players got envelopes of money from boosters.

“I never once during my time there saw for myself any kind of extra payment going on with an envelope the way it is described in that article,” he said. “I never saw a booster handing out envelopes on an airplane. I never saw them walking up and down aisles. I never saw any of that. It’s all news to me. If that stuff is true, it’s the best-kept secret ever.”

One of the things which bothered Bajema most was the portrayal of Talley. And that’s why Bajema sent Talley a text message.

“I let him know that I appreciated all the influence that he had on me as a Christian and as a man during my time at Oklahoma State and that there are a lot of people like me who he made a big impact on their lives,” Bajema said.

“We owe him a debt of gratitude and I just wanted to encourage him that I have his back and there are a lot of other guys who are willing to defend his reputation and stand by him through this. To see an article come out about him that mostly seems like hearsay from disgruntled former players is sad and you just want to defend the guy’s reputation.”

Bajema, who played at OSU from 2001-04, said he never worked on Talley’s ranch, but knew many guys who did.

“I think John’s goal was to give people an opportunity to learn to work hard to earn money and to have a job,” Bajema said.

“I think that rather than let people have easy jobs or no-show jobs like it is portrayed in the article, I think he provided guys with the opportunity to learn work ethic and that’s what his goal was in allowing guys to go out there and try to earn some money.” Bajema said Talley “absolutely” does not fit the stereotype of greasy booster.

“He is the FCA leader in that area and part of his job is to have an influence in the athletes at Oklahoma State and try to have a positive impact in their lives and he did that in any way he could,” Bajema said.

“I never saw him operate in any way that I thought lacked integrity whatsoever. I always appreciated the influence he had on me and had on my teammates and his conduct was upright.”

Bajema said a few guys may have gotten interviewed for the SI article. “But for every one of those, there are 100 that would say they appreciated the impact that John Talley had on their lives.”

From a bigger-than-Talley standpoint, Bajema said if everything was going in the OSU program the way it was described in SI’s article, there’s no way all of the players wouldn’t have known about it.

“I never witnessed any of it and all the guys I talked to never witnessed any of that either,” he said. “It’s kind of a crazy deal. I’m sure they will get to the bottom of it and they will all sort it out. It’s frustrating to see these things come out when the culture described bears no resemblance to the culture of the football program that I played in.”

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the "not corrupt" players that were successful in life, are coming out of the wood work denying anything like what the SI article stated happened at OSU.

Latest posts

Top Bottom