O what a beautiful sight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sitting at my desk watching t.v. and look out the window in the yard, a hen and a jake just went across the yard west and crossed under the fence. Got the ol box call out and hit it a couple of licks , he gobbled and two more to the East gobbled. One came out of the trees to the East strutting into the pasture. Lightining hit and they gobbled, and now the rain came and they came back across the yard heading East. Just enough to get the blood going, and now go to Turkey Banquet in OKC tonight at the Sportsman Club. Come join us. Have a MILLER knife for the auction.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had some toms in the front yard today. The tile contractor was freaking out as he hunts turkey and rarely see them. I got the box call out, and had them gobbling. Its really interesting to watch them up close when they are doing that. You can tell its just a reaction. They sure didn't want to leave the sunflower seeds the wife puts out for the birds.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to kill the buzz. Just getting you ready for the reality of turkey season. My turkey hunting area, is covered up with them during deer season, but darned hard to come by in turkey season.
I suspect sombody across the river is baiting them.

Its possible that this the cause but I highly doubt bait is the sole culprit. It is extremely common for large flocks of turkeys to winter and then break up and not use thier wintering ground much during the spring. For instance my property in Payne county. We will have a large flock roosting on our place all fall and winter then come spring they break up and go north and east of us, but never roost on our place. Then I have to coax lone toms back across my fence during the day when they are out cruising.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they aren't pressured, they will roam a square mile at times in our neck of the woods. Can't say about the easterns, as I don't have a lot of experience with them. Really depends on how much food they have. Lots of food, and they will pretty much camp out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom