Obama Admin Blocks Law Requiring Texas Residents to Show Photo ID Before Vote

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The theory behind opposition to Voter ID bills is that the poor have greater difficulty obtaining ID documents and by requiring them to present IDs, you are working a burden that may prevent them from exercising their rights.

It's a BS theory.

But when it comes to exercising the 2nd Amendment you must pay a license fee, take a class and be "cleared" to do so.

Government enforces that which benefits them. Nothing more, nothing less.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then why do we have to show ours!!! Lawsuit!!!

Has Oklahoma been a state that has historically violated the voting rights of minorities? I'm working now, but i think only certain states (with a history of disenfranchisement) have to have all voting laws cleared by the DOJ. I wasn't sure if Oklahoma had that problem in the past, or not.

No, our law requires a photo ID, OR the voter to show their voter ID card (which is non-photo but cost free for the applicant and voter).

I don't mind our law, which one can show either/or the photo ID or the free isued voter ID. The TX law - if it truly requires one to show a photo ID, that can only be obtained at a cost - I am still on the fence about, but I tend to think it may constitute being considered a form of a poll tax.

Donner, OK was historically pretty strongly a Jim Crow state:

http://www.jimcrowhistory.org/scripts/jimcrow/insidesouth.cgi?state=Oklahoma
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jim_Crow_law_examples_by_State#Oklahoma

There's more out there the web, but we among the last state to adopt a segregated college (directly against the direction of Roosevelt when they were handling out Morrill grants). We also had possible the most blatant Jim Corw voter laws and grandfather clauses on record the south.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The theory behind opposition to Voter ID bills is that the poor have greater difficulty obtaining ID documents and by requiring them to present IDs, you are working a burden that may prevent them from exercising their rights.

It's a BS theory.

We fully agree on this JB.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think such a card is available in OK, no?

http://www.ok.gov/elections/Voter_Registration/
http://www.ok.gov/elections/documents/vrform.pdf

You must apply, but there is no associated charge.
I don't think that's the current form since our Voter ID law passed.

I re registered again recently because I moved a couple of years ago and the registration I filled out was different than that one.

It clearly says you have to attach a current photo ID OR proof of residency such as a utility bill.
It also says you can return the registration without the photo ID but you will be asked to provide a valid photo ID the first time you go to the polls to vote.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll add this $.02 while I'm at it.

I don't mind the photo ID voter law as far as that goes.

What pisses me off is the states that refuse to grant a photo ID for voting purposes to college students that live on a college campus located in a different state than the one their parents live in.
The lawmakers have passed laws that say just because you live on a college campus in Michigan for example for 9 months you aren't a legal resident.
So too bad for you mister/missus college student.
Drive all the way back to your "home" state of Wisconsin where you live with your parents for only 3 months to vote.

Serves em right I guess. A bunch of college "Snobs" anyway. LOL

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Weird. I completed one back in 2010 before the congressional elections and I don't recall any such language (perhaps it was there and just I ignored it). I just filled out my new info and the tag agent mailed it off on my behalf. I never included any ID and I got my new card a few weeks later.

I always show it, and never ID, and I get nary a care.

The other side of that could be that the various polling places and county election boards don't know or care about the requirment. That is always a possibility.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Weird. I completed one back in 2010 before the congressional elections and I don't recall any such language (perhaps it was there and just I ignored it). I just filled out my new info and the tag agent mailed it off on my behalf. I never included any ID and I got my new card a few weeks later.

I always show it, and never ID, and I get nary a care.

The other side of that could be that the various polling places and county election boards don't know or care about the requirment. That is always a possibility.
I think that's because they have a record of you voting before but I'm not sure.
I just know that's not the form I filled out last month.
I'll see if I can find the form I filled out and post it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom