Obama finally moves to choke off American Firearms Manufacture and Sales

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the exception of a few models, there exists a glut of firearms now. The manufacturers are filling the warehouses of distributors while retail sales are slow. The long wet weather and lack of ammunition, I believe, are two current factors. That, coupled with everyone who wanted a gun bought one. As for the credit issue, Wells Fargo is actually the bank of choice for at least one large chain store. The NRA is not perfect. Their problem is the image of angry old white men. They should recruit a younger audience without the use of Ed McMahon tactics. May you live in interesting times.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I support background checks on all firearms transactions. Even all private sellers. It may be a pain but it's an easy loophole for people to use that shouldn't have a gun.
Yes millions of democrats are pro gun. I'm one of many and many of us would have not voted or encouraged most anti gun leglatation.
Yup i do bash the nra. Wrong subject for that I didn't mean to derail this post. I do apaligize to the poster who started this thread.
I think I addressed most things if I forgot something let me know. Been a little busy today.

Background checks for every purchase sounds like a nice idea but is actually fraught with problems in practice. Under the current system one must first transfer the weapon to an FFL in order to run a background check on the purchaser making it very impractical for folks that live far from an FFL or in areas where government action (ala Chicago) has purposefully limited FFLs. IF a system was in place that anyone (i.e. common citizens) could use without excessive procedural or financial burden, perhaps that would be worth discussing. Nothing like that has ever been proposed - and even though that would be more acceptable to private sellers it still presents privacy issues for the buyer as well as the basic problem of restricting legitimate trade of private property between the vast majority, i.e. completely legitimate sellers and buyers, to restrict a few nefarious individuals.
On top of that many people, with justification, see grave Constitutional issues with any restrictions on gun sales.

So before blithely supporting such a "common sense idea" please explain exactly how/when/via what means such a system would work - who could access it, under what circumstances, at what cost, etc. Who keeps records? of what exactly - just that it was accessed or details like who bought exactly when and where it is going, etc.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To the background check "supporters".(I'm being nice here)

Do you also propose a background check before selling a motor vehicle? Should a person with a "questionable" driving record be allowed to purchase a car? Because a car is a damn sight more lethal than a gun, the numbers prove it. Should someone with a DUI or DWI be subject to stricter scrutiny?

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with universal background checks is that it doesn't really effect criminals. Almost no one is prosecuted under the current system, it mostly just inconveniences law abiding citizens by delaying a legal purchase. Most criminals get their guns from other criminals, by theft, or through a straw purchase by a family member all of which are already illegal.

Universal background checks are just the next step towards universal registration which is the only way they would be able to enforce universal checks.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One problem with UBC's is in order to be any good at all, universal registration must be in place first. And once this is in place the danger is very real that confiscation will follow. Witness the words and goals of the founder of Handgun Control, Inc. Nelson P Shields:

"I'm convinced that we have to have federal legislation to build on. We're going to have to take one step at a time, and the first step is necessarily -- given the political realities -- going to be very modest. Of course, it's true that politicians will then go home and say, 'This is a great law. The problem is solved.' And it's also true that such statements will tend to defuse the gun-control issue for a time. So then we'll have to strengthen that law, and then again to strengthen that law, and maybe again and again. Right now, though, we'd be satisfied not with half a loaf but with a slice. Our ultimate goal -- total control of handguns in the United States -- is going to take time. My estimate is from seven to ten years. The problem is to slow down the increasing number of handguns sold in this country. The second problem is to get them all registered. And the final problem is to make the possession of all handguns and all handgun ammunition -- except for the military, policemen, licensed security guards, licensed sporting clubs, and licensed gun collectors -- totally illegal."
One more thing, if I may: the problem of criminals getting guns is a red herring. The real reason that the gun control advocates want UBC's, I think, is because when a gun is sold with no paperwork it very often disappears from the radar and the federals have no idea where the gun is. It becomes effectively untraceable, hence a lot more difficult to confiscate if such a law were ever to pass.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I support background checks on all firearms transactions. Even all private sellers. It may be a pain but it's an easy loophole for people to use that shouldn't have a gun. Yes millions of democrats are pro gun. I'm one of many and many of us would have not voted or encouraged most anti gun leglatation.

Yup i do bash the nra. Wrong subject for that I didn't mean to derail this post. I do apaligize to the poster who started this thread.

I think I addressed most things if I forgot something let me know. Been a little busy today.

Well then. Are you saying that you trust the government to regulate who can have a gun? Who sets the guidelines for ownership?

Latest posts

Top Bottom