Obama says FCC should reclassify internet as a utility

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just when I thought Obama couldn't damage the country any further, he comes up with this. Adios Internet as we know it!

US & WORLD
Obama says FCC should reclassify internet as a utility
By Jacob Kastrenakes on November 10, 2014 09:30 am

President Obama has come out in support of reclassifying internet service as a utility, a move that would allow the Federal Communications Commission to enforce more robust regulations and protect net neutrality. "To put these protections in place, I'm asking the FCC to reclassifying internet service under Title II of a law known as the Telecommunications Act," Obama says in a statement this morning. "In plain English, I'm asking [the FCC] to recognize that for most Americans, the internet has become an essential part of everyday communication and everyday life."

There's been a growing battle around protecting net neutrality — the principle that all internet traffic, no matter what it is or where it came from, should be treated equally — ever since the FCC's original protections were struck down in court earlier this year. Those protections were able to be struck down because the commission didn't make those rules in a way that it actually had authority over, so it's been trying to create new rules that it can actually enforce. It hasn't chosen to use Title II so far, but net neutrality advocates have been pushing for its use.

Regulating internet service under Title II would mean reclassifying it as a utility, like water. This means that internet providers would just be pumping internet back and forth through pipes and not actually making any decisions about where the internet goes. For the most part, that a controversial idea in the eyes of service providers alone. It means that they're losing control over what they sell and can't favor certain services to benefit their own business. Instead, they'd be stuck allowing consumers to use the internet exactly as they want to, using whatever services they like without any penalty. If that sounds pretty great, it's because that's basically how the internet has worked up until now.

Obama's support of Title II reclassification comes at a critical time for net neutrality. While the FCC is in the process of making new rules to protect net neutrality, those rules would actually allow internet providers to offer so-called "fast lanes," effectively defeating the purpose of net neutrality in the first place. During a public comment period over the summer, Americans spoke out loudly against the proposal, but it's not yet clear what the commission plans to do in response. FCC chair Tom Wheeler has said that he isn't entirely opposed to Title II, but that's appeared to be only if other methods won't work first.

In a statement outlining what he'd like internet service to look like, Obama highlights four major points: internet providers wouldn't be allowed to block websites offering legal content, they wouldn't be allowed to intentionally slow down or speed up certain websites or services based on their own preferences, and they wouldn't be able to offer paid fast lanes. Obama also asks that the FCC investigate and potentially apply net neutrality rules to the interconnect points that sit between service providers and content providers. That's potentially huge news for Netflix, which has been arguing that this area of the internet should be covered by net neutrality all year.

Obama also asks that the commission apply these rules to mobile internet. That would be a significant change as well, as mobile service hasn't previously been subject to the same net neutrality rules that wired connections have been. That said, Obama does leave a significant amount of room for exceptions in the wireless space, potentially allowing some amount of throttling so that providers can manage their networks.

There's still the big question of whether the FCC will listen to Obama's recommendation and whether Congress will allow it. Obama's support of Title II reclassification may provide the political support that the commission needs to justify such a rule change, but with Republicans wary of regulation taking over the Senate, it's an increasingly risky proposition. The FCC may set the rules, but there's plenty that Congress can do to sway its decisions.

"The FCC is an independent agency, and ultimately the decision is their's alone," Obama says. "But the public has already commented nearly 4 million times asking that consumers — not the cable company — gets to decide which sites they use."

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So if you think he's "destroying the internet" then what's your answer to what the paid prioritization that the cable companies want to employ? Just curious.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you actually read what you posted? The article states that Obama is for net neutrality, or the internet as you've used it since it's existence.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FCC Step two: Apply the Universal Service doctrine to internet service, followed closely by cellular service.
NSA Step one: Increase monitoring of all services to make sure FCC rules are being followed.

My preference is for the gummint to keep (or get) out of most things to the largest extent possible. How is the internet any of the gummints bidness?

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FCC Step two: Apply the Universal Service doctrine to internet service, followed closely by cellular service.
NSA Step one: Increase monitoring of all services to make sure FCC rules are being followed.

My preference is for the gummint to keep (or get) out of most things to the largest extent possible. How is the internet any of the gummints bidness?

If you would like your internet experience to like your cable or satellite tv experience, then by all means keep the "gummints" out of it.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't vote for him either time, but ol Barry has this one right. Now the problem with this is because it came from Obama every mouthbreather who refuses to do any research will blindly oppose it.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't vote for him either time, but ol Barry has this one right. Now the problem with this is because it came from Obama every mouthbreather who refuses to do any research will blindly oppose it.

Faux news done told me so!

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Faux news done told me so!

Exactly. And then there is this.....

i.imgur.com_2qg0yr0.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom