Official "How much is your health insurance going up in 2014?" thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My personal policy jumped 20 dollars a month. Luckily the new job is providing health insurance. so my costs go down.

As far as the company plan is concerned. Our renewal date was originally set for July 2014. BCBS is allowing us to change our renewal date to December 2013. The total change is a 3-4% increase after the renewal.

I'm not looking foward to this time next year when we are presented the next renewal numbers.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel sorry for the guys that have been carrying the minimalist insurance that only covered toe cancer with a $5,000 deductible.
Those policies don't qualify beginning Jan 1.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lucent Technologies retiree covered by United Healthcare. Going from 24% of monthly pension to 25% of monthly pension to cover me and wife. Wife works for Health Choice, the Ins Co that covers state employees and is considered a state employee.The state adds money to her pay to cover premiums for both of us. That makes us both covered by 2 ins cos. Whatever our medical co-pays are the other ins co picks them up. We do have co-pays for Rx.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is barely more than last year but they increased my copay for CTSCAN/MRI from 0$ to $250 with a maximum of $750 So it's apples to oranges to a certain degree.

Overall, same old same old for the last 4 or 5 years.

Be careful with those copays. I used to have a policy with $500 lab work/imaging copay. When my first born was in the womb there were complications and damn near every lab, ultrasound, or appt cost $490 +/- So I never made any progress on the deductible.

Long story short, it cost about 17k for my son when I had a $5k deductible. Make sure you are crystal clear how yours works.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful with those copays. I used to have a policy with $500 lab work/imaging copay. When my first born was in the womb there were complications and damn near every lab, ultrasound, or appt cost $490 +/- So I never made any progress on the deductible.

Long story short, it cost about 17k for my son when I had a $5k deductible. Make sure you are crystal clear how yours works.
Good point.
The summary form says $750 max, but it doesn't say if that's per day, hospital stay, year or what.
I need to get on their website tomorrow and look at the small print.

mksmth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine at work is going up about $30 a month but the ins company let us lock that rate for a year if we renewed early. No idea what will happen this time next year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom