OK Turnpike tolls set to rise again for cash customers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think their plan is to get more people to use the pike pass. When you get the pike pass, they want you to put a minimum of $25.00 in your account. If you’re not a frequent user of the toll roads the unused money probably sits in an account somewhere drawing interest.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like having a choice of paying with cash and just going on my way.It would be a pain to get a bill for 70 cents driving from Riverside to Memorial when in Tulsa if you don't have a pike pass.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember I believe in the 1950's that they built the turnpike and it was to pay for itself after a few years and the toll fees would stop. It was a big deal at the time. I try to avoid the turnpike if at all possible and go a different route because of the fees which continue to go up thanks to our politicians. Sometimes I really wonder about them, I sure wouldn't want to have to go into a military conflict with them but that' sone thing I don't have to be concerned about-they aren't going to be in the battle-but they'll send others to be with me...

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't even think about it any more. The turnpikes are in much better condition than most of the state highways. The only time I notice it is when the charge replenishing my account shows up on the credit card statement. Just part of life.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
several years back atlanta converted it's HOV lanes to toll lanes with floating toll prices (posted on signs). Sometimes it's only $.30 to save yourself 3 minutes if you have your peach pass...

never mind the time it'll take to go from the far left lane across 5 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic when you need to get to your exit.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder how long it will be until they add more infrastructure and use that pike pass to send you a ticket for speeding? I also wondered why my old one beeped on the highway by Bass Pro in OKC every time I went by. The new ones don't beep of course.
There has been talk of that for as long as I can remember. It's not a difficult calculation; they know what time you enter and exit the turnpikes and how far apart the gates are.

When the city of Norman started using video-based traffic light controls, they published a letter to let people know that they were neither redlight cameras nor photo radar units. The letter also said that their legal counsel's opinion was that state law did not allow the use of such devices. I'm not sure why that is, but that could be why the OTA hasn't started issuing tickets.

Then again, they may also simply not have the legal authority to write any tickets at all, aside from toll evasion.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
several years back atlanta converted it's HOV lanes to toll lanes with floating toll prices (posted on signs). Sometimes it's only $.30 to save yourself 3 minutes if you have your peach pass...
California has that--the tolls are posted on electronic signs. I know Texas has some tolled express lanes, but I don't know if they do variable pricing on them.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh and maybe some of y'all can tell me why the hell we needed the extra lanes and allllllll the daggum lights west of Tulsa on 44. I dealt with those miles of construction for a while on my Monday runs to Holdenville and couldn't figure out why that area needed lights and more lanes.

Tulsans need help getting home?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup when you use Rentals in Chicago. You can get a car with a pass or they will just bill the tag and about 2 week later you will get a bill on CC for charges you had while driving there.

What I want to know is who the heck paid for the bridges on the creek extension headed East from 169. That is like riding whoops on a motocross track. Up down UP down UP down UP down at 65-70mph is nuts.
Is that the one by Yukon?

Latest posts

Top Bottom