OKC district hosts first meeting on possible school closures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CONSOLIDATE SUPERINTENDENT POSITIONS:
I'm not talking about the two biggest districts...Tulsa and Okla. Counties

Look at other counties...let's take my home county...Lincoln County.

Wellston
Carney
Agra
Chandler
Davenport
Stroud
Prague
Meeker

Eight schools with their OWN Superintendents.

Why not 1....1....did I mention 1??!!
1 for the entire county.

Example; they can have their office in the county seat of Chandler and visit the principals...heck..call, text, email, or have meetings...etc.

The principals run the school so let a county superintendent disseminate the information, money, rules....etc.

1 county superintendent and ...oh my gosh...SAVE some money from the other 7 supers salary.

cm_osu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CONSOLIDATE SUPERINTENDENT POSITIONS:
I'm not talking about the two biggest districts...Tulsa and Okla. Counties

Look at other counties...let's take my home county...Lincoln County.

Wellston
Carney
Agra
Chandler
Davenport
Stroud
Prague
Meeker

Eight schools with their OWN Superintendents.

Why not 1....1....did I mention 1??!!
1 for the entire county.

Example; they can have their office in the county seat of Chandler and visit the principals...heck..call, text, email, or have meetings...etc.

The principals run the school so let a county superintendent disseminate the information, money, rules....etc.

1 county superintendent and ...oh my gosh...SAVE some money from the other 7 supers salary.
To add to that, Chandler has 4 principals and associated staff. 3 of the principals are in buildings within 200 yards of each other.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Commission of the Land Office State of Oklahoma controls the school lands
That they do . However they are not involved in what the state thinks the adjustment to o the state school funding formula should be in valuation of those lands for districts that have yhem

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, but as a "possible" example, let's say that the Boise City district has to raise their valuations on land because of so much land set aside as "school land" and not taxable. By having higher land valuations, wouldn't the state then say, "Oh, Boise City doesn't need as much "state" funding because of their higher valuations?" Might that be a reason for their district being one of the low per pupil districts, because they have to compensate for less taxable land?

Mapped: The Oklahoma School Districts with the Most and Least Per-Pupil State Aid
I'll ask a friend of mine on that. I have never had conversation on the effects of school lands on the formula .

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something I keep hearing about is kids doing the online high school option. This seems like a good opportunity to raise a generation of copy cats to me.

Programs like IXL, PassKey and others teach Oklahoma Standards far better than a traditional teacher class.

Every year more and more College Students are taking online classes instead of traditional instructor classes

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It can, but only if the districts want it. An example if not wanting it is Muskogee, and the Hilldale district, located in the city limits of Muskogee. They should have consolidated long ago, but Hilldale doesn't want to lose control. Consolidation is the right thing to do, but it will be a tough fight to get it done in any meaningful manner.

Hilldale is a joke. They think they are the Jenks of their area. I graduated from there and would never consider putting my kids in that district. No doubt about it, they need to consolidate with MPS.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Hilldale district was created at the time of the integration of the Muskogee public schools. That is a good example of why there are so many districts in OK, and also an indication of the difficulty in trying to consolidate some of these districts.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Consolidation WILL NOT occur without legislation at the state level. That can be moved along with incentive money! Specific criteria would need to be determined. Local districts could apply based on the criteria then those districts could be paired up. Keep in mind flexibility in crossing county lines to unite districts would help a bunch. Many small districts are closer to others in another county than within their own!

Latest posts

Top Bottom