OKC district hosts first meeting on possible school closures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What school district is going to step up and agree to consolidate with another? It would have to be directed by the Legislature, and I can't imagine any of them wanting to support that kind of change in their district. We always want the other folks to change, not us.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The district s of Wann, Delaware, and Lenapah, voted on their own to consolidate in Nowata county probably 15 yrs ago . They formed what is now Oklahoma Union Public Schools. The district's test scores,attendance,cost of operation,activities and athletics have all improved. Their attendance, and test scores are some of the best in the state for a district of their size. Now here is the real kicker. By combining their net assessed evaluation tax bases the district has been able to build almost an entire new campus for it's children . Don't tell me consolidation can't work .

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It can, but only if the districts want it. An example if not wanting it is Muskogee, and the Hilldale district, located in the city limits of Muskogee. They should have consolidated long ago, but Hilldale doesn't want to lose control. Consolidation is the right thing to do, but it will be a tough fight to get it done in any meaningful manner.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last I checked, Oklahoma had over 500 school districts. There is no way a state with 77 counties and a population of 4 million needs even half that many districts.

One thing that needs to be mentioned is that we're talking about district consolidation, not school consolidation, although it's possible that some schools ought to be closed. We're just talking about reducing the administrative overhead, not bussing students 100 miles to the county seat to go to school.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, is it your idea that the Panhandle kids be uneducated? To consolidate schools out there, all the ones in any county would have to go to one central school. Have you considered how big each of those counties are in size? Have you considered how long some of those kids would have to ride the bus both to and from school? Do you really think transportation costs would go down? Perhaps you should actually go out to the Panhandle and see where some of these kids live, especially those living in the country, and see just how much time in their day would be wasted time.

Dumb comments like this are just that. Dumb! If you want to consolidate schools, look into counties that have multiple schools that are within just a few miles of each other that have students living close by.

You obliviously have no idea how low the educational standards are at these small schools. They have kids that graduate with 4.0 grade averages that have take remedial math when they get to college. They have 3.5-4.0 grade averages and score 17-19 on their ACT. Lack of facilities and funding cause this. One school out here has holes in the floor so large that you can see and hear the teacher teaching if you look up through them. I personally had a classroom with a science lab that would flood the two classrooms below it every time we used the sinks. You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about. Go troll someone else. These kids would be better off at a county school where funding could provide better educational facilities! Better labs, better computer labs, better technology. I’ve taught out here and have seen first hand how pitifully inadequate the facilities are. Perhaps you should tour some of these facilities before calling someone or their comments dumb. Good day sir. Thanks for playing.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You obliviously have no idea how low the educational standards are at these small schools. They have kids that graduate with 4.0 grade averages that have take remedial math when they get to college. They have 3.5-4.0 grade averages and score 17-19 on their ACT. Lack of facilities and funding cause this. One school out here has holes in the floor so large that you can see and hear the teacher teaching if you look up through them. I personally had a classroom with a science lab that would flood the two classrooms below it every time we used the sinks. You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about. Go troll someone else. These kids would be better off at a county school where funding could provide better educational facilities! Better labs, better computer labs, better technology. I’ve taught out here and have seen first hand how pitifully inadequate the facilities are. Perhaps you should tour some of these facilities before calling someone or their comments dumb. Good day sir. Thanks for playing.

While it has been a while, I was a school board member in a Panhandle school, so I do know a bit about circumstances out there. In addition, I still have family that "kind-of" keep me up to date on some of the conditions out there. I know how far some of those kids have to ride the buses.

Unless this has changed, there is another thing that hampers some of the districts out there. In times past, each township in the state had a section of land that was deemed "school land" and that any revenue from that land went to fund schools, but that land couldn't be taxed. Over time, downstate politicians deemed to "move" school land from downstate district up to the Panhandle. I don't remember the amount for certain, but something like 50 to 60 percent of Boise City's district was "school land" and couldn't be taxed. Thus, while they might get some lease money for that land, no ad valorem taxes could be levied to help the district. And, generally speaking, the lease money went to the state who then divided it up among all the school districts in the state, so even the lease money was limited for out there.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While it has been a while, I was a school board member in a Panhandle school, so I do know a bit about circumstances out there. In addition, I still have family that "kind-of" keep me up to date on some of the conditions out there. I know how far some of those kids have to ride the buses.

Unless this has changed, there is another thing that hampers some of the districts out there. In times past, each township in the state had a section of land that was deemed "school land" and that any revenue from that land went to fund schools, but that land couldn't be taxed. Over time, downstate politicians deemed to "move" school land from downstate district up to the Panhandle. I don't remember the amount for certain, but something like 50 to 60 percent of Boise City's district was "school land" and couldn't be taxed. Thus, while they might get some lease money for that land, no ad valorem taxes could be levied to help the district. And, generally speaking, the lease money went to the state who then divided it up among all the school districts in the state, so even the lease money was limited for out there.

Terry the state formula adjusts for districts with low net assessed evaluations.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Terry the state formula adjusts for districts with low net assessed evaluations.

Yes, but as a "possible" example, let's say that the Boise City district has to raise their valuations on land because of so much land set aside as "school land" and not taxable. By having higher land valuations, wouldn't the state then say, "Oh, Boise City doesn't need as much "state" funding because of their higher valuations?" Might that be a reason for their district being one of the low per pupil districts, because they have to compensate for less taxable land?

Mapped: The Oklahoma School Districts with the Most and Least Per-Pupil State Aid

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While it has been a while, I was a school board member in a Panhandle school, so I do know a bit about circumstances out there. In addition, I still have family that "kind-of" keep me up to date on some of the conditions out there. I know how far some of those kids have to ride the buses. (Because their parents want them to ride buses)

Unless this has changed, there is another thing that hampers some of the districts out there. In times past, each township in the state had a section of land that was deemed "school land" (Section 16 and 36 was for the Local Schools (One Room School Houses so that Students would not have to walk more that 3 1/2 miles) these were dependent school districts and only went to the Eight Grade (If a student wanted to go to High School their parents took them, or they walked) miles and that any revenue from that land went to fund schools, but that land couldn't be taxed. Over time, downstate politicians deemed to "move" school land from downstate district up to the Panhandle. I don't remember the amount for certain, but something like 50 to 60 percent of Boise City's district was "school land" and couldn't be taxed. Thus, while they might get some lease money for that land, no ad valorem taxes could be levied to help the district. And, generally speaking, the lease money went to the state who then divided it up among all the school districts in the state, so even the lease money was limited for out there.
Commission of the Land Office State of Oklahoma controls the school lands

Latest posts

Top Bottom