okc makes top 5 list

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fredkrueger

And Charles Barkley still thinks that Oklahoma is all white people. It just kills me how people from other parts of the country see most southern states as being dumb hicks that still ride around on horses and wagons. If they only knew the truth.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a bit of a skeptic. Whenever I see a study published I tend to ask what's in it for the author. In this and many other cases, we have someone promoting a problem apparently in an effort to justify more funding to solve that problem. When I go to the source article (http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2012/p0126_gang_homicides.html) I see that the main point is that gang related homicides are a "public health problem." Not having a degree in public health, I'm not sure exactly what this means, but I pretty sure it includes spending taxpayer dollars in new and creative ways for the laudable end of reducing gang violence.

Here are the proposals for spending your tax dollars:
Homicide is the second leading cause of death among persons aged 15–24 years in the United States. CDC supports a number of initiatives designed to prevent youth from joining gangs and from becoming involved in violence. Several examples include:

CDC and National Institute of Justice are working together and with experts on gang membership and delinquency prevention to summarize what families, schools, and communities can do to reduce the risk for youth gang membership. http://nij.ncjrs.gov/multimedia/video-nijconf2011-simon.htmExternal

Striving To Reduce Youth Violence Everywhere, or STRYVE, helps promote the use of evidence-based youth violence prevention approaches www.safeyouth.org

Urban Networks Increasing Thriving Youth, or UNITY, works with large urban centers to enhance their readiness for violence prevention, help organize their planning, and increase their capacity to address youth violence using a public health approach. www.preventioninstitute.org/unityExternal

Academic Centers of Excellence: Sites work with communities to reduce youth violence. www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/ace/index.html.

Shades of midnight basketball and making gang members tour morgues or view gunshot wound slideshows. Those ideas didn't work and neither will these new government programs.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
only 17 states are part of the study... Was wondering about Detroit, Miami, Chicago.. New York... D.C.

* Seven states joined in 2003 (Alaska, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Oregon, South Carolina, and Virginia); six states joined in 2004 (Colorado, Georgia, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin), and four states joined in 2005 (California, Kentucky, New Mexico, and Utah). Five California counties are included in NVDRS. The three counties in northern California began data collection in 2004. The two counties in southern California began data collection in 2005.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't have a problem if these genetic-defectives would just finish each other off and be done with it since all they're doing is robbing the world of valuable oxygen. Sure would be nice though if they could shoot better and hit their target without taking out innocent victims.

I agree 110%

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Statistics are COOKED most of the time to get the outcome someone wants, FBI changes the categories of crimes to bump crime stats up or down as need . 9 out of 10 doctors asked ,would use this ------( the question was would you use this or nothing at all ? ). It's all fun with numbers !

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I remember correctly from researching a column for the OColly, Chicago does not report homicide/gang activity the same as nearly anyone else. Most gun data, too, is listed as "incomplete".

True. When a young gang member is killed while participating in gang related activity (off of school property) it is reported as a Chicago public school student gunned down by a firearm. It helps there agenda by making firearms look evil. I know cause I had three die in the neighborhood I lived in, two of them were h.s dropouts the third had cut school and was in the rival gangs area spraying graffiti. In 2008 you would hear a news story every night about how a public school student was shot, but when it happened in my neighborhood I asked some of the high-school students about there lost friend. Many of them replied that the murdered kids were not attending there school when they were shot. Some of the kids even said those guys had it coming.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And this report comes from the CDC who we all know never says anything that isn't the gospel truth? Not that I'm disputing the facts since we all know that OKC has a gang and drug problem, but I hesitate to believe anything that is directly or indirectly related to the current administration. Saw a news story tonight I forget whether it was the CBS Evening News or News 9 that had a story about a Colorado Sheriff that was proud of his county's number of permit holders. Something like 20,000 of the 600,000 residents have applied for or received their permits so far IIRC. Maybe we should get a Sheriff like that in OK CountyD.

I'm voting for this guy. http://sorrelsforsheriff.com/
Another term of Whetsel is just more of the same old stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom