Oklahoma Budget Crisis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right, because everyone needs to go to college and become an engineer or a doctor. To hell with the people who want to do anything else for a career.
The VoTech billboards proclaim, "91% of VoTech students get a job or go to college." It is sad that this statement is the best thing they can promote to prove their value.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vo-Tech likewise does not not seem like a productive program.
Right, because everyone needs to go to college and become an engineer or a doctor. To hell with the people who want to do anything else for a career.
Personally I think I'd make a split between vocational and technical training, leave vocational in the public sector and let industry take over providing the specialized technical training needed in their workforce, similar to the old "work-study" programs that used to be common in state colleges before they shifted so heavily to liberal arts disciplines.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a state, we spend money on things that don't matter. We waste it. Who is the highest paid OK state employee? I honestly haven't used my Google Fu on it, but I think I already know the answer.

Check that and ask yourself; is this where our money should be going?

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a state, we spend money on things that don't matter. We waste it. Who is the highest paid OK state employee? I honestly haven't used my Google Fu on it, but I think I already know the answer.

They must have a clever way to rename our college football coaches as something other than state employees. Sadly most voters probably support this, "Because football!"

After the big name college coaches I would guess it is administrators at the medical schools. Those are justifiable.

Another Oklahoma state government foible is building fancy buildings. Get yourself a big building whenever you can. What happens inside them isn't that important.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They must have a clever way to rename our college football coaches as something other than state employees. Sadly most voters probably support this, "Because football!"

After the big name college coaches I would guess it is administrators at the medical schools. Those are justifiable.

Another Oklahoma state government foible is building fancy buildings. Get yourself a big building whenever you can. What happens inside them isn't that important.

Gee, I guess I guessed right on the highest paid employees. Call me "Nostradamus".

We WASTE money on all sorts of things. Big things, little things. But no matter what those things are, somebody will chime in and scream the sky will fall if we cut this particular program.

Case in point: I live in the Tulsa area. I-244 was resurfaced around '08 or '09. I can't remember the exact year. They just re-did it again. Why? Why are we paying to "fix" the original job if it wasn't done properly? Pure waste.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I would guess that football at most D1 schools and even high schools are self sufficient programs, even ridiculous coaches salaries. Other sports such as girl's volleyball, girl's basketball, and softball are probably not self sufficient. Knowing that, is this where our money should be going???

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom