Oklahoma City man who shot himself was wanted for questioning in sexual attack on 11-

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.newsok.com/feed/oklahoma...rticle/3501904?custom_click=pod_headline_news

Oklahoma City man who shot himself was wanted for questioning in sexual attack on 11-year-old girl
Larry Dale Kirby, 43, who is a registered sex offender, is in critical condition today at OU Medical Center, police said. He shot himself inside his home at 3500 S Harvey Avenue about 2 p.m. Tuesday after detectives arrived to talk to him, Oklahoma City police Capt. Patrick Stewart said.

BY ROBERT MEDLEY Oklahoman
Published: October 6, 2010

Police said today the man who shot himself in the face in south Oklahoma City was wanted for questioning in a reported kidnapping and sexual assault of an 11-year-old girl.

Oklahoma City man who shot himself was wanted for questioning in sexual attack on 11-year-old girl Larry Dale Kirby, 43, who is a registered sex offender, is in critical condition today at OU Medical Center, police said. He shot himself inside his residence at 3500 S Harvey Avenue about 2 p.m. Tuesday, Oklahoma City police Capt. Patrick Stewart said.

Detectives went to Kirby's residence to talk to him about the kidnapping and assault reported Sept. 29 in the area of SW 59 and Blackwelder Avenue, Stewart said.

"Our detectives were following an investigative lead that led them to believe he (Kirby) was possibly the suspect in the attack," Stewart said.

Oklahoma City school officials issued warnings to patrons Thursday with specifics about the attack and urging parents to not let children walk by themselves.

The girl, a Jefferson Middle School student, told police an attacker approached her from behind about 7:45 a.m. on Sept. 29, put a gun to her head and threatened to kill her if she screamed. He drove her around for about a half-hour before sexually assaulting her, police said.

Police officers entered Kirby's home Tuesday and he was behind a locked door, Stewart said. Police were about to open the door when they heard a gunshot, Stewart said.

Kirby was convicted in Oklahoma County in 1985 for second-degree burglary, sale of an alcoholic beverage to a minor in 1990 and lewd proposals to or acts with a child under 16 in 1998. Records show he was convicted of methamphetamine possession in 2005.

He served about two and half years in prison.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"... kidnapping and sexual assault of an 11-year-old girl."

That would be enough to make you want to shoot yourself in the head, both of them.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People like this disgust me. I don't know how the cops could even call the ambulance and try to save his life. He doesn't deserve to live or to get the free medical care he's getting right now.

Besides, how do you screw up killing yourself with a gun to the head?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

From what I've read, it's not as easy as it sounds to kill yourself with a gunshot to the head. In fact, I was just reading about the July 22, 1944 plot to kill Adolf Hitler. Not one but two of the participants in that failed plot tried to shoot themselves in the head to avoid a trial, and only managed to wound themselves. Both were then executed by the Nazis.

stroker-c10

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People like this disgust me. I don't know how the cops could even call the ambulance and try to save his life. He doesn't deserve to live or to get the free medical care he's getting right now.

Ya isnt it a shame that scum like this dont have a better aim.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I've read, it's not as easy as it sounds to kill yourself with a gunshot to the head. In fact, I was just reading about the July 22, 1944 plot to kill Adolf Hitler. Not one but two of the participants in that failed plot tried to shoot themselves in the head to avoid a trial, and only managed to wound themselves. Both were then executed by the Nazis.

Only if you do it wrong. Done right it's pretty effective. The last alleged pedophile we rolled on did it correctly. :disappoin

SwampPapa

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
while in EMT class saw a video of a guy that removed his cranium from the jaw line up they life flighted him the film picked up on the pad at the hospital he was still moving blood (it was pooling on on the gurney and they were bagging him otherwise he would have drowned) I don't think he knew he was still alive but technically

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think they should have stayed outside the outside till SWAT could arrive to secure the scene. (If they were certain it was him and not a victim, to give more bleed out time.)

As far as the unsuccessful suicide attempt. It would be 1 of 3 to the head that wasn't successful.

Drail

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i know the area was pretty close to a hospitol but i think i would have gotten lost on the way there.... for atleast an hour

Latest posts

Top Bottom