Oklahoma law change would let 18-year-olds buy a handgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does this make me feel a certain way, yes… but then again my feelings shouldn’t trump a constitutional right. The days of middle ground are dead, buried, and rotten so we can’t give any wiggle room on things like this unfortunately. You basically back it all, or you back nothing. I’d especially like younger folks to have training and whatnot, but the second you implement rules it gets ugly.
In an ideal world I think most things should be pushed off until at least 21, seeing as brain development isn’t near done at that point.. but how else can we exploit our youth in so many different ways if we can’t get them early!
If parents in this country were allowed to 'parent' like they should then we wouldn't be having this discussion about having to be a certain age to be considered responsible enough to purchase a firearm. Just my 2-cents.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No driving till 18. No one drives to school, all ride buses or walk/bicycle. Highschool goes to 20 yrs old. Work/College/Military after completion of High School. You stay in High School and work 20 hours a week until successful graduating. You have till 22 to complete. You fail at High School the Military has you for 4 years. After that you feed your own face and best have it figured out how to do so.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No driving till 18. No one drives to school, all ride buses or walk/bicycle. Highschool goes to 20 yrs old. Work/College/Military after completion of High School. You stay in High School and work 20 hours a week until successful graduating. You have till 22 to complete. You fail at High School the Military has you for 4 years. After that you feed your own face and best have it figured out how to do so.
Lol
Nothing says freedom like coerced enlistment.

I agree it would help a bunch of them, but that’s a principle I just can’t get behind. If we’d just pull the plug on the many “safety nets” the taxpayers fund, most of the problem would solve itself. It’d be ugly for awhile, but life’s hard and nothing is free.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol
Nothing says freedom like coerced enlistment.

I agree it would help a bunch of them, but that’s a principle I just can’t get behind. If we’d just pull the plug on the many “safety nets” the taxpayers fund, most of the problem would solve itself. It’d be ugly for awhile, but life’s hard and nothing is free.

Yea the Military might be a bit rough on enforcement. I’d vote to lengthen High School and no driving till out of High School.

Last edited:

Peter1861

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand wanting to lessen road accidents, but there are a lot of rural places where driving is pretty much a necessity. Say you have an older sibling that graduates and now you need to drive yourself... or maybe sit on a bus for three hours at 5 AM as the alternative. Especially if you're in highschool until you're twenty. And getting to work would be pretty much impossible, if you're working 20 hours a week, again in a rural area.

Peter1861

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

And this I agree with also. Nothing like being a twenty-year-old in a sketchy neighborhood that cannot defend themselves legally. But you can go hunting, vote, drive, work 90 hour weeks in a dangerous trade and get drafted. Those were very real emotions of mine not too long ago, and I prefer not to say f*** the little guy once it no longer applies to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom