Oklahoma liquor laws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, you should know when to stock up by now. Always be prepared, right?

Liquor laws are funny. One winter's night I was in a liquor store parking lot waiting on someone inside. A ****** old Econoline comes flying up with "Rock and Roll Fantasy" blasting from what I can only assume was an 8-track. Scrawny-ass, unkempt dude walks in an returns with a bottle in a bag. He gets in the van, guzzles a good bit of it of whatever it was, and cranks the van back up. As the old straight-six roars to life, the speakers are blasting "IT'S ALLL PAAAARRRRT......OF MY ROCK N ROLL DREEEEEEAAAAAAM" as he screeches from the parking lot.

I looked down at my watch and was like MY GOD...if only the store closed 30 minutes earlier, we could have prevented that.

At least we don't have dry counties like Arkansas, for the optimists.

Yes... that was some Bad Company on 8track. And for the record, I was drinking Cutty Sark

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, we wouldnt want to upset the good ole boy friendships between some of our politicians and some of our liquor store owners would we!?

P238,.. do you buy out of state just to take the tax away from the state? Sorry, have to ask cause one of my soap boxes is the difference in alcohol between OK and TX. Basically we are talking a few tenths of a percent difference in alcohol... although, I will contend, Texas beer somehow tastes better. :/

It also makes it difficult/impossible to get some good beer such as fat tire from the new belgium family. It is unpasturized and must be shipped, stored, enjoyed cold. Ok laws prohibit this.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes... that was some Bad Company on 8track. And for the record, I was drinking Cutty Sark

cdn.zmemusic.com_wp_content_uploads_2008_03_paul_rodgers.jpg

Whitey died one night
died in his van
bottle 'o Cutty
and an 8-track by his head

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, you should know when to stock up by now. Always be prepared, right?

Liquor laws are funny. One winter's night I was in a liquor store parking lot waiting on someone inside. A ****** old Econoline comes flying up with "Rock and Roll Fantasy" blasting from what I can only assume was an 8-track. Scrawny-ass, unkempt dude walks in an returns with a bottle in a bag. He gets in the van, guzzles a good bit of it of whatever it was, and cranks the van back up. As the old straight-six roars to life, the speakers are blasting "IT'S ALLL PAAAARRRRT......OF MY ROCK N ROLL DREEEEEEAAAAAAM" as he screeches from the parking lot.

I looked down at my watch and was like MY GOD...if only the store closed 30 minutes earlier, we could have prevented that.

At least we don't have dry counties like Arkansas, for the optimists.

Over here in Arkansas the Likker Stores are still open......:drunk5:

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We cant even get constitutional or otherwise OC, how do you expect to get a cold beer in a liquor store, or a real beer in a Reasor's, or a bottle of wine to go with your steak and french bread you purchase at a grocery store. Gun laws are public opinion, liquor laws are big Oklahoma liquor distributor controlled money, a little different. Just in this session of the legislature made it legal for the liquor stores to be able to sell corkscrews for the wine they sell, you expect any big changes of anything else?

I make beer runs out of state frequently. Oklahoma is losing my tax $, but they do not care.

I am sure they miss the forty cents a gallon tax that you are evading.

I got a buddy who runs a liquor store... if you want to call it that. Had the discussion about liquor in grocery stores and he about flew off the handle. I went on to explain to him that it wouldnt kill the liquor store, but it would mean that a liquor store could only exist if it offered things the grocer didnt and one didnt exist at every strip mall down the road.

Well, he may be right. I had a hard time finding beer in New Orleans. When you can go to a gas station and buy Abita beer, Crown, Fried Chicken, Coffee, Cigarettes and Ephedrine all in one place... well who needs a liquor store? There were liquor stores, of course, but they were spread pretty thin. In my part of OKC there's a liquor store with Guinness about every two blocks.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, we wouldnt want to upset the good ole boy friendships between some of our politicians and some of our liquor store owners would we!?

P238,.. do you buy out of state just to take the tax away from the state? Sorry, have to ask cause one of my soap boxes is the difference in alcohol between OK and TX. Basically we are talking a few tenths of a percent difference in alcohol... although, I will contend, Texas beer somehow tastes better. :/

For me the taste is the factor. If I wanted light beer, I would have ordered it. You could pour in some 200 proof to adjust the % if you wanted to, but it would not make it the same. For me that is not the issue. I have come to the conclusion that the taste is different because it is a "special" brew for Oklahoma, the quality control or with some beers the refrigeration is different. I have opened cans that vary in taste from can to can from the same package. Because the alcohol content has to be regulated, they have to dilute with water until it gets just under the 3.2% Oklahoma alcohol limit and that amount varies slightly from batch to batch. If I wanted Light beer, that is what I would have ordered. Liquor stores have to sell hot beer, and that can also change the taste, so this is why the majors stopped selling regular hot beer to liquor stores, got tired of the BS. So it is just easier for me to make a beer run to get the good stuff. (anything outside Oklahoma) Aside from that, I do have some issues with the OTC and I purchase everything I can out of state while I am there, groceries, clothing, gas, avgas, etc. until I reach a defined dollar value. I never drive or fly back into Oklahoma with empty tanks or an empty back seat.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me the taste is the factor. If I wanted light beer, I would have ordered it. You could pour in some 200 proof to adjust the % if you wanted to, but it would not make it the same. For me that is not the issue. I have come to the conclusion that the taste is different because it is a "special" brew for Oklahoma, the quality control or with some beers the refrigeration is different. I have opened cans that vary in taste from can to can from the same package. Because the alcohol content has to be regulated, they have to dilute with water until it gets just under the 3.2% Oklahoma alcohol limit and that amount varies slightly from batch to batch. If I wanted Light beer, that is what I would have ordered. Liquor stores have to sell hot beer, and that can also change the taste, so this is why the majors stopped selling regular hot beer to liquor stores, got tired of the BS. So it is just easier for me to make a beer run to get the good stuff. (anything outside Oklahoma) Aside from that, I do have some issues with the OTC and I purchase everything I can out of state while I am there, groceries, clothing, gas, avgas, etc. until I reach a defined dollar value. I never drive or fly back into Oklahoma with empty tanks or an empty back seat.

The taste isnt attributed to the alcohol content...

Texas Bud is ~5% ABV
Oklahoma 3.2 is measured in ABW.
5%ABV is 4%ABW. Thats only 8 tenths of a percent.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am sure they miss the forty cents a gallon tax that you are evading.

Avgas has a little more tax than .40 and I bring back up to 80 gallons 2 or 3 times a week. I am sure they do not care, but it gives me a little personal satisfaction to have a beer that tastes good to me and a 10% discount on the groceries I bring back. My shrimp seem to be a little fresher also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom